Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mm-300 Win perfect "wheatfield" rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

7mm-300 Win perfect "wheatfield" rifle?

I've decided to have a 7mm-300Win built. I'll use it to cull whitetails & punch holes in hogs, rocks,& paper. Weight, barrel length, & portability is not going to be much of an issue. I have a 1/2 mile walk @ the most on fairly flat ground. I'd like to get y'alls input and/or experience on the perfect "stationary" rifle. I have been leaning towards R Bros to build it. It will be my first custom rifle. Any other builder/gunsmith suggestions would be helpful & appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7mm-300 Win perfect "wheatfield" rifle?

By "perfect", I mean action, barrel manufacturer, barrel length, contour, & stock.... It'll have a jewel trigger & NF 5.5-22x56, that I do know lol
Old 07-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

I just sent in my dummy rounds for throat length on a 6.5-300wm and a 7-300wm reamer. I'm going to build both and use the most accurate one for a packing mule deer rifle. I think the 7-300wm will work well for you on whitetails. I would use a rather heavy barrel if I was in your situation. Weight doesn't sound like it matters much. Using a contour with a rather long flat would allow setting the barrel back when the throat starts to go away.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

You won't go wrong with Rbros. Travis has built custom and done some semi-customs for me. He is great to work with and his rifles shoot!

KK
Old 07-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Gold Member

I found this interesting:

New 7mm Wildcat - 24hourcampfire
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

The last two I built were with a Sendero contour barrel and all 3 I have put together were Hart Barrels and a 1 in 9 twist. I have used Rem 700 actions on 2 and a Wby Mark V on the other. I am going to be starting a 4th one soon that wil be in a 1 in 8 1/2 twist with the 195 Bergers in mind. This one might have a slightly shorter barrel like 26" for ease of carry in a scabbard. All of these 7mm-300 win chamberings have shot into very tight groups with 180 Bergers even at distances past 1000 yards.

So for you I and your type of shooting/hunting, I would go with a Rem 700 action or maybe even a custom like a Defiance. The Defiance actions are sweet!! plus they already have a nice bolt release and a M-16 extractor. For a stock I would look at a A-3 type from Mcmillan or Manners. These will be a little heavier but the weight becomes a big friend when holding on target and spotting hits. I would only use a Hart barrel and I think the 28" sendero contour will be perfect. I would also install a JP tac compensator brake and you will love shooting this rig. I know you will probably not go this far but I would just go ahead and put a 40 moa NF base on and utilize the full elevation of the NXS 5.5x22. I have seen all 3 of these rifles go past a mile on rocks and they were all very impressive. A Harris 9~13" swivel bipod is a good fit and will work from a bench, shooting house or prone on the ground. Throat them a little long for a reamer. Using the 180 VLD and the Hybrid I have found the sweet spots for these rifles were -.050", -.100" and -.115" off the lands. So the Myth of Bergers wanting to be jammed or on the lands is no longer in my mind set.

H-1000 is the powder, and a CCI 250 or a FED 215 GM primer.

Having owned many of larger cased 7mm made me very fond of the 7-300 win. The first one I set up now has close to 1000 rounds and the seating depth is still as we started. So I don't think we are seeing the accelerated throat burn of the larger cased 7's. These rifles will easily send a 180 over 3100 and are a perfect representation of a 7mm. Sure some will be faster, but it comes at a price of changing barrels often. I atribute some of the accuracy of this chambering to the 300 win case. After years of shooting and custom rifles I have seen few that have out preformed this case. Not to mention the superb choices of brass and bullets.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

I think you need to call Travis. I believe he is working on his own wildcat version of a 7-300. I have a 7 mag he built for me using a 26" rockcreek barrel and got up to 3029 using 180 bergers but was noticing some flat primers and very light cratering so I backed it down to 2956 and am having no issues. I am using norma vs his recommended win brass so my brass is a little softer than what he uses. Also I believe he only trues/blueprints rem 700 but Im sure would build with any custom action. I believe he has defiance built him custom actions to his specs. I would recommend him for a smith, I called him probably way to often and he always answered my questions and explained everything to me so that I understood fully.