Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Which 7MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Gold Member

Which 7MM

I plan on having a new rig built in a 7mm. Which of the many 7's available would you feel would make the best choice. The rifle would be in the 8.5# class (10# total) manly used for shots within 1200 yards but capable of taking elk at that range. This would also be built using a custom action. Looking for your input and why your choice of that cartridge. Thanks for your input!
ps (I already have a big 30 cal)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Oh boy, you know how opinions are. We've all got one, or more, but.........given the criteria you stated: Elk, 1200 yards and 10#, I'd go with a lightweight 7mm Allen Magnum although if I was going to be shooting at game at 1200 yards I'd want a little more weight by at least a couple of pounds.;) Sure is a lot more stable for those loooong shots.

My 7mm Am has just under 2200 fps. and just under 2100 ft. lbs. of energy at 1200 yards and given the right conditions I wouldn't hesitate to kill an elk at that range.;);)
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Dick (SS7mm) what are the specs on your rifle again? You can PM if you'd like so we don't hijack this thread. I've always liked the looks of your rig.

By the way I'm looking to build a long range 7 and I'm definately doing the 7mm Allen Mag. Kirby has been such a resource to many here not to mention all of my correspondence with him has been professional and helpful not to mention he doesn't come off as a pompous azz, and some smiths do. Good luck on your build
Old 03-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Boman - PM sent;)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebore View Post
I plan on having a new rig built in a 7mm. Which of the many 7's available would you feel would make the best choice. The rifle would be in the 8.5# class (10# total) manly used for shots within 1200 yards but capable of taking elk at that range. This would also be built using a custom action. Looking for your input and why your choice of that cartridge. Thanks for your input!
ps (I already have a big 30 cal)
freebore,
I know it's not an Allanmag, but I would recommend a 7mm-300wsm set up for 180 Bergers.
reasons.....
#1~ cases available: Norma 270, Norma300, or the same in Winchester.
#2~ in a 28" barrel 3000FPS. is very do-able with 180's and 3100 is very easily achieved with 168's
#3~ this chambering feeds excellent out of the Kwik Klip from Cabelas set up as a long action.
#4~ burning only 65 grs. of powder allows me to do a lot more practice shooting, a little longer barrel life, managable recoil (especially with a brake), extreme accuracy, with good loads very capable of sub 2" groups at 600 yds., this may be argued, but I feel there is enough energy at 1200yds. for elk. Shot placement is important but it is equally important for the ultra mags.

My second recommendation would be the 7mmWSM, basically same as above, only winchester cases available. No necking up or down and in a pinch factory ammo, for close range is an option.

Just my .2

308Nate
Old 03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

I'd go with 308 nate or a stw or why not a ultramag. The 180 bergers are the only way to fly.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

308 Nate,
I never gave the Short Mag a thought. What you presented seems to make alot of sense. What/whose reamer did you use and what about dies? Thanks for the input!