close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

7mm???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 09-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
7mm???

Hi y'all new guy with 7mm questions. Im not new to shooting or hunting, but i am new to long range shooting. i would like to build a 7mm of some sort for long range hunting and target shooting, right now long range hunting wont be more than 400 to 500 yards, i have places that i cant shoot further but right now im gonna limit myself to no more than 500 yards, ill shoot further as i learn more about shooting long range. As far as game animals go ill be hunting deer and hogs mostly. i have a couple savage LA to build on. Any advice on which way i should go would be great. thanks
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: 7mm???

    284 Win. You can neck up 6.5-284 Lapua brass. Perfect cartridge for deer and hogs to 500 and even a little farther.
    __________________
    - Mark

    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,724
    Re: 7mm???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    Hi y'all new guy with 7mm questions. Im not new to shooting or hunting, but i am new to long range shooting. i would like to build a 7mm of some sort for long range hunting and target shooting, right now long range hunting wont be more than 400 to 500 yards, i have places that i cant shoot further but right now im gonna limit myself to no more than 500 yards, ill shoot further as i learn more about shooting long range. As far as game animals go ill be hunting deer and hogs mostly. i have a couple savage LA to build on. Any advice on which way i should go would be great. thanks
    7mm STW. We have a large bunch of STW shooters here at the LRH forum.

    Out to 500yds the 7mm Rem is a great round to start with but when you are ready to stretch it out the 7mm STW really shines.

    Welcome.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,484
    Re: 7mm???

    Wild Rose beat me to it.....

    My vote is also for the 7mm STW. Had mine for 11 years. Great caliber.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2013
    Posts: 7
    Re: 7mm???

    thanks guys!
    montanarifleman, what bullet would you recommend? and will the 284 work for shooting 700 to 800 yards for practice?

    wildrose, will the stw work in a savage LA 110 or 111? i have one of each.

    sorry, i know these questiions are really basic, but all my shooting, hunting and reloading for the last twenty+ years has been for revolvers, very little rifle stuff until recently.

    thanks
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: 7mm???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    thanks guys!
    montanarifleman, what bullet would you recommend? and will the 284 work for shooting 700 to 800 yards for practice?

    wildrose, will the stw work in a savage LA 110 or 111? i have one of each.

    sorry, i know these questiions are really basic, but all my shooting, hunting and reloading for the last twenty+ years has been for revolvers, very little rifle stuff until recently.

    thanks
    I like Bergers and CEB's. I would recommend the Berger 168 Hybrids or 168 Hunter.

    Or these....
    https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_J01

    Nosler just came out with Long Range Accubonds which look interesting but their BC claims are a bit exaggerated.

    You can target practice to beyond 1000 yds with the 284 Win. Hunting distance will be determined by the bullets velocity/expansion performance down range which will definitely exceed 500 for deer.

    The STW is a lazer but a little more than you need for 500 yd hunting and comes with a price on throat wear just so you understand if you choose that.
    __________________
    - Mark

    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 09-10-2013, 01:56 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Oct 2008
    Location: Alabama
    Posts: 9,484
    Re: 7mm???

    I am not a Savage shooter, so I have no idea about action dimensions. Mine are off of Remington 700 actions with heavy Sendero barrels on them.
    __________________
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

    "Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC