Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7mag primer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Bronze Member

7mag primer.

I've been working up some loads for my new to me Sendero 7mag. I noticed the lee manual has a large rifle primer listed, and the other manuals and Hodgon on line has it listed magnum. I'm wondering if it matters much? Do you use magnum primers, or not?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7mag primer.

You are supposed to use magnum rifle primers. I use Federal 215 or 215M (Match) primers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Bronze Member

I'm using magnum primers now but my supply is down to 125 or so.
I was caught off guard by both the purchase of the 7 mag, and the shortage of reloading components. I think I have 20,000 long rifle primers.
I may have to try to find magnum primers.
The last couple of gun shows I have been to I've not run across federal primers of any kind in quite some time.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:37 AM
Platinum Member

Funny thing is, around here Large Rifle (mainly for .308 reloading) became scarce so I stocked up. Now Magnums are hard as hell to find....

I wish these idiot hoarders would move on to shotguns.....I could care less about a shortage for anything related to them. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

You may be surprised, but with many loads you will get tighter groups and lower ES with standard (fed 210) vs. Magnum (fed 215). I have seen this in several 7 Mags using Retumbo, and H4831sc.

Joel
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

PM sent.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. The main problem I have is most of my primers are Winchester, I do have a new box of remington, but I was going to try to use the winchesters first as they are about 5 years or so old. I have a guy here at work that's going to trade me 500 long rifle for 500 magnum but I think they are Winchester also. That will get me thru load development. I might get lucky and find some before I finish up.