Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7LRM or 7WSM This is painful!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7LRM or 7WSM This is painful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4granit View Post
I am always amazed when I get on this forum and see a lot of guys bashing Gunwerks and/or other custom shops and their prices and how you could build one for half the cost etc. Of course you could....that should go without saying.....anything you do yourself will be less expensive. I have a concrete construction company and there are many, many things people don't think about that I have to pay for, just to be in business and have employees. This drives the cost up and although many clients think you are getting rich on their job, typically I run on very slim margins...especially in this economy.

Point being....some people don't have the time or the knowledge to build a rifle like Gunwerks puts out. I wouldnt even know where to start! The coolest thing, in my opinion, is that they break it in, sight it in and when I get it all I have to do is develop my shooting skills. I will definitely know, more than likely, that when I'm not hitting or grouping well, that it's me and not the rifle.

Anyway, I placed my order for a LR-1000 7LRM two weeks ago and can't wait to get it. In the meantime, I can concentrate on my company and do what I do best and not waist time and money trying to put together a rifle that might not ever do what I want and if I put all that waisted development time towards my business, I should easily be able to pay for killer rifle.

Anyway.....I'm tired of all you guys bashing Gunwerks for putting out a quality firearm and earning an honest dollar. Isnt that what this country is about?

First and last post on any forum......goodbye
It doesn't appear that you've been on this Forum very long, or posted very much. I'll say one thing. It doesn't take you long to reach final conclusions. Joined December 2011. Bailed in January 2012...
Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for taking this way off topic guys. Im going with the 7 lrm so we can kill this thread.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Aaron sent me a pc of formed brass and the case was not intended to be the fastest.

It is interesting, for those not familiar with the 375 ruger the case head is the same as a belted magnum at .532" but the case has no belt and has a very shallow taper to the shoulder.

What Aaron did was neck it down and lengthen the neck, so it kind of resembles an oversized 6.5x47 lapua. Yet the case is shorter than your standard magnums, thus allowing it to feed in standard LA mag boxes or DBM assemblies with out ever worrying about bullets set into the case capacity.

This cartriage lacks the rebated rim of the ultramag and should feed as well or better than most cartriages in a LA.

I personally like it and think it will catch on once his labeled brass becomes available.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
All this concern over 150 FPS?

7 WSM is very cool. 7RM is still a player as well. 7 Wby is a step up, but I doubt there is a real world 150 fps between any of them.

All things considered, you're going to end up with a 7mm that will do what a 7mm will do.

Barrel twist and bullet choice will have more effect on any final outcomes, all trumped by bullet placement...150 fps isn't even on that list.

Whatever you decide just remember...

You build it you gotta feed it!

TC
I needed a round that would be at least 1900fps at 950-1000yds. here in western Oregon at 500-1500' elevation that wouldn't kick my butt. I have been working on some Roosevelt elks hidie hole for 6yrs now. The absolute closest you can get to these bulls is 875yds. and they are typically at 950-1000yds. and that's after quite a hike. My buddy has a 300RUM that spits out a 210VLD at 3100fps using 93 or so grains of Retumbo. My 7LRM spits the 180VLD at 3130fps with better terminal ballistics with 21grs. less powder and it's a whole lot easier to shoot. I purchased the brass from GunWerks and after taking the high side off the necks it's doing just fine even though the headstamp is Hornady. I almost went with the 7STW and I'm glad I didn't.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moombaskier View Post
I needed a round that would be at least 1900fps at 950-1000yds. here in western Oregon at 500-1500' elevation that wouldn't kick my butt. I have been working on some Roosevelt elks hidie hole for 6yrs now. The absolute closest you can get to these bulls is 875yds. and they are typically at 950-1000yds. and that's after quite a hike. My buddy has a 300RUM that spits out a 210VLD at 3100fps using 93 or so grains of Retumbo. My 7LRM spits the 180VLD at 3130fps with better terminal ballistics with 21grs. less powder and it's a whole lot easier to shoot. I purchased the brass from GunWerks and after taking the high side off the necks it's doing just fine even though the headstamp is Hornady. I almost went with the 7STW and I'm glad I didn't.
Man that sounds like a good time, I like that kinda hunting, your post just got me jacked as there is nothing better than hunting elk IMO!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moombaskier View Post
Sound to me like you are pushing the limit of the 7mm when your going from 875-1000as a starting point. Why not step up to a larger platform.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4granit View Post
I am always amazed when I get on this forum and see a lot of guys bashing Gunwerks and/or other custom shops and their prices and how you could build one for half the cost etc. Of course you could....that should go without saying.....anything you do yourself will be less expensive. I have a concrete construction company and there are many, many things people don't think about that I have to pay for, just to be in business and have employees. This drives the cost up and although many clients think you are getting rich on their job, typically I run on very slim margins...especially in this economy.

Point being....some people don't have the time or the knowledge to build a rifle like Gunwerks puts out. I wouldnt even know where to start! The coolest thing, in my opinion, is that they break it in, sight it in and when I get it all I have to do is develop my shooting skills. I will definitely know, more than likely, that when I'm not hitting or grouping well, that it's me and not the rifle.

Anyway, I placed my order for a LR-1000 7LRM two weeks ago and can't wait to get it. In the meantime, I can concentrate on my company and do what I do best and not waist time and money trying to put together a rifle that might not ever do what I want and if I put all that waisted development time towards my business, I should easily be able to pay for killer rifle.

Anyway.....I'm tired of all you guys bashing Gunwerks for putting out a quality firearm and earning an honest dollar. Isnt that what this country is about?

First and last post on any forum......goodbye
I haven't really seen them or any of the other custom makers being bashed.

They provide a premium service for their clientele that their clients want and a price they are willing to pay for same.

Some of us simply don't have the budget for such turn key customs and some just like doing as much as possible on their own. For a lot of us it's a combination of both.