Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

775 Yd. Coyote Just Yesterday!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

775 Yd. Coyote Just Yesterday!

Darn proud of this 1 even if it wasn't my gun-- this copied from predatormasters.com:

Got an old mangy dog @ 775 today. Have been working a little with a buddy's Nesika Bay Round action, big Mcmillan tactical type stock, and a BIG 26" Krieger (i think)-- 270 WSM. 8.5-25X Leupy target turrets. He's getting 3025 mv with a 140 Nosler BT, and it'll do 1.5" @ 300 pretty consistently.

Went out with mom today (she likes to spot some), and i'd previously zeroed the turret to 250, and just applied Exbal Ball. Calculator for 25 yd. interval clicks to 1000 for 50 degrees, SAP. It was about right for today's conditons out here. I went out east not far from Pueblo, parked the car close to a big basin, and walked to it's edge, with momma tagging along. We set up on the edge, and just glassed the basin-- nothing but a herd of antelope, so i howled figuring 1 might sit up , and take notice if they were out there sleeping during the midday heat. Sure enuf looked to my left, and there's a skinny old mangy critter 500 yds. out. He starts trotting away quartering, but the antelope saw him , and kept him on the move. Meanwhile i'm trying to range the dog, point him out to mom, run clicks, and track him off a small bench bipod. Finally the old dog stopped right when everything was set. He turns toward me 3/4ing, and i shot. I got back on him just in time to see his butt drop, and he fell over. Let out a big whoop, and mom figured i got him. I couldn't believe it. Bullet hit him in the chest, with a small exit out the left hindquarter, with a bunch of lung blood all around. 1st shot at a coyote out of this rig, and it connects @ 775. Man my buddy Jim might have to fight me to get this rig back.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 775 Yd. Coyote Just Yesterday!

Good job. I just love it when it all comes together like that.

I took my mom (and dad) coyote hunting one time and although we didn't see any yotes my brother was able to shoot a badger through the nose (facing us) at about 100 yards with my Mini 14. My wife was talking to mom just the other day about our duck hunting season and mom mentioned that she wanted to go back out hunting again.

Anyway, again congrats on the coyote. BTW who walked out to get the coyote, you or did your mom "volunteer"? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

SS,

Great shot, a dog at 775 yards is a poke an a half.

Say, one of these days I will have to ship you one of my 257 AMs to test out with the 156 gr ULD. Did some velocity testing with that bullet yesterday, got 3350 fps comfortable. Thats with a +.800 B.C. bullet!!!

You interested?

Working with Lilja now to get the right twist tooled up for his barrels. Will be a little bit but coming soon. Will take the 1/4 bore out past 2000 yards supersonic!!!

Congrats on the shot.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-24-2005, 12:22 PM
SPONSOR

Way to go buddy!!! Are you old enough to shoot a rifle that big [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Hey Kirby!
We just want you to know about the S.H.O.T.S. coming up in May. If you have any questions, just ask away. That 6.5 WSM & 338 WSM XP's would be a hoot on the field courses.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:28 PM
SPONSOR

BTW Kirby what would say would be the ideal/best LR Specialty Handgun (Cartridge)?
Old 01-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

XP,

If you could get me locations and dates I will see what I can go. It would be alot of fun to get down with you guys so you could learn me how to shoot those handguns way out there!!!

About the ideal handgun cartridge, man thats a tuff one to define exactly. I assume with you we are talking 1000 yard capacbilites or more for Long Range Shooting.

It would have to be housed in an XP-100 for sure and be suitable for a barrel length in the 15 to 16 3/4" range. The larger the caliber the more velocity you will be getting inthe short barrels by being able to use faster burning powders. This is why the 338 WSM gets such impressive velocities.

Still, we need good B.C. numbers. At lest .650 and preferably in the .750 to .800 range. There are +.800 bullets out there but they are not real suitable for handgun length barrels.

Hows this for a poke at it. I would say something in the 300 WSM/7.82 Patriot on the small end up to say a 300 Dakota on the large end. Loaded with a 210 to 250 gr VLD or ULD in a 1-8 to 1-9 twist barrel with a 16 3/4" length and fitted with a Holland QD brake.

There are new Wildcat Bullets out now in the smaller calibers that offer some unreal B.C. numbers such as the 156 gr .257" ULD but I do not feel in a handgun they would be viable options. I feel a 308 or 338 bullet would be about tops in performance.

May have to talk with Richard to see if he will make a 250 gr ULD in 8mm and use the new 325 WSM. May be a good compromise between the 300 and 338 in the handguns.

To be honest, I have been dealing with a customer now for several months who desperately wants to buy both my 6.5mm and 338 WSM. I told him I would buildl him one of each but he does not want to wait for the actions.

I may sell my 338 to him just to get him off my back and then build a new one using the system I used on my 6.5mm with the machined Holland Comp Recoil Lug. I have been very happy with the performance of this system. Vastly stiffer then the factory lug.

Well, thats my guess, whats yours???

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thks. guys. Actually i forgot my camera, and had to go back out today to get the photos-- coyote was still in 1 piece, not too worse for the wear besides the mange, and it was BADDD i tell ya'. I doubt the dog would've lived much longer-- most of the hide on his rear was gone, and the tail had no fur at all on it. Hey 4KEE-- sent mom out to meet me at the coyote, whilst i went back for the truck. She hasn't gotten into carrying dogs back to the truck, but i just might send her 1 of my slings for carrying coyotes next Xmas, what do ya' thinks??

50 thks much for the offer, but with this seminar coming up in May I'm gonna have my hands full, and i couldn't do it justice. If u come to the seminar, it'd be nice to get your input. We won't be teaching u anything-- that much i know, but it'll be fun to do the roving silhouette courses, no doubt.