Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

721 yds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 01:26 AM
Silver Member

Re: 721 yds

Great pictures and great shot.

This is why I always feel that we hunt "easier" in Africa. Vehicles can get close to most of the plains game and many are equipped to winch the animal onto the truck and most (not all granted) use skinners and butchers etc.

There are some places of course where access is harder in the mountains, but for the most I think we have it a lot easier.

oh and most times warmer weather than you do.

Thanks for that story.

Wim
Old 02-23-2007, 06:01 AM
Bronze Member

Nice picture, good shoting and great country. I hunt north of the Gros Ventre every fall. Every fall I can draw a tag that is. An elk hanging in a tree makes for an interesting field dressing job.
My hunting partner had a moose fall in a big stump hole one year. The hole was deep enough that you couldn't see the moose in it. We had to lift it out piece by piece after field dressing. There wasn't enough room for both of us, the moose and a huge gut pile in the hole. We hade to make 3 trips to pack it all out on our backs. And I can tell you, being covered in blood and moose guts, I felt like bear bait the entire way.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Gold Member

Great moose country, we were spotting them daily. Got nose to nose with a couple good bulls, one was 48-50". Saw a cow with two calfs, which I understand to be kinda rare. No wolves, at least we didn't see or hear any. There were a few bear around. Had a rodeo one AM, this is about two hours before sun up, not a 100 yds from camp. Bear in the trail, guides horse came unglued. My horse tensed up a bit but handled it well. If a horse is questionable, the guides ride him, guys like me get the good horses. At times your ride is as exicting as the hunt itself.
BTW: My guide on this hunt was a 25 year old cowboy, we didn't walk anywhere unless we absolutely had to. Not my first horseback hunt, but we took those horses where you would never beleive ya could take a horse. Up and down slopes so steep ya can hardly stand there let alone ride a horse.
Another hunt, another guide comes to mind. "Des horses, he would start out, des horses, they don't know their left from their right. Des horses, they don't care which side ya get up and down from." So I was taught to mount and dismount from the up hill side, the left side myth was broken. Going up a brush covered slope, steeper than hell. I said, "hey Dan ain't you afraid were goona hurt des horses" (and maybe me). His reply, ya kinda had to be there, "Ya can't hurt des horses" and up through that crap we went. Coulda tied off and walked, only made about another 50 yds but he couldn't do that.
Anyhow; its 12 degrees, snowing and I gotta get ready for a dentist appointment.
So if reading all my gibberish didn't make your day, probably didn't hurt it any.

At my age; Hunt fast, brag every chance ya get!!
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
POP,will you put that tsx woody away!

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The reason I am so interested is that I have heard stories where they do not expand. Additionally I have a 30-378 WBY.

BEAR if you actually shot it at different ranges to obtain drops can you post the chart or e-mail it to me. Very interested to get the BC of the TSX since Barnes has reduced them to a more "realistic" -- according to them-- number. Thanx
Old 02-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Gold Member

POP
With 300 yd zero, I'm about 4" low at 400 yds. (14-1/4" clicks) 17.5" low at 500 yds. (28-1/4"clicks) 42" low at 618 yds. The clicks are 1/4" on my Zeiss Conquest.
Let me know what you come up with.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Platinum Member

at what altitude?
Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

2500 ft. 40-50 degrees