Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7 saum unexpected velocity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7 saum unexpected velocity

Say, me and my buddies have found not to trust the crony too much. too many variables ( sunny, cloudy, distance. height in which the bullets fly through the crony.
use the crony to get an estimate and most important to check ES. than go shoot a couple groups at a few distances. (I perfer 400 and 800) use the farthest distance you shoot really accurate and the midde of that dist too. test the ammo and get your moa's at those distances. Than go to Jbm and play with the speeds to get what matches your findings. Really does not matter what the crony says if when you dial you do not hit!!!
I shoot a Saum with the 180 Hybrids myself love the load. my gun seems to have a good speed node at 2850. I have found that 52 grains is what my gun likes 1/4 in. I have also found that with 4350 to use standard primers. better groups and ES. Try it. might work for ya.
A MUST TRY!!! h 4831sc I use 61 gr. and is near max. (think 62) this load is also a 1/4 load and has an ES of 6. I've talked to a lot of saumers (new word HA!) and this is thier load also.

fYI 3150 Is not un heard of with 4350. I know of two custom savages and a rem that are flying 3150. Lucky bastards!!! Well un tell their guns burn out earlier... LOL suckers.

Good luck, the saum is a great cartridge, keep working it.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

I've been shooting SAUM's since Remington introduced them and have found Varget to be a great powder for them and I use "standard" (non-magnum primers). My favorites have been the Federal Gold Medal Match primers.

Watch out for case lengths. Remington produced a few batches of cases that were a lot longer than the published "trim to" lengths.

I've also found that best accuracy has often occurred at about 1-1.5gr above published maximum loads. I don't in ANY way recommend that you exceed published maximum loads but I kept hearing of people doing it with their SAUM's and decided to try it and after careful load development, found that they were right in my rifles and I've owned a few SAUM's over the past few years.

Velocities are hard to believe and I've been called a liar a few times so I no longer post them because it seems to hurt the feelings of other magnum owners. LOL

By the way every SAUM I ever owned had a 22 inch barrel except an LTR chambered in 300SAUM which had a 20 inch barrel and for some CRAZY reason I sold that rifle and it was the most accurate "magnum" rifle I've ever owned... Wish I had it back... :(
Old 07-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Everyone told me the velocitys I was getiing out of my 30", 300 wby comp/hunting tube with both the 210 VLD (3275 fps) and the 230 Hybird (3195 fps) were impossable also!! When I convinced them that the speeds were correct, I was called reckless and ir-responsable by the wizzards of smart on the internet!!

Sometimes what it is is what it is. My drops have been comfermed with three different programs with both bullets out to 1500 yards. I had 7 firings on that Norma brass...the only PSI sign I ever had with the brass was that it started to expand in the web area. It fit fine in the shell holder on my press. What got me measuring was that it started to fit tight in the shell holder in my priming tool after the fifth firing. The brass was (otherwiae) fine...the PP's were still tight, the OAL hadn't changed, and I saw no sign of weakening of the brass above the belt. I tossed em to prove I wasn't reckless !! What the hell...brass is cheap and I have lots of it.

Get rid of that verticle, keep watcing your brass for PSI, and enjoy life!!!

Tod