Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7 rum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

7 rum

I tried the search function, I searched other forums and Google can anyone tell me something besides it eats barrels. I read some places where people were getting 1500 plus and read some places where they were getting 450 rounds out of a barrel.

I shoot 22lr, 243 AI, 260 AI currently with a few others in between and I shoot a spotter/shooting buddies 300 Win mag. I have tasted the 1400 mark and flirted with the 1600 mark. Where do I need to go next? Here in Michigan there isn't a lot of long range shooting on game but if there was a chance it would be whitetails.

7 RUM? 7 stw? If I get the Ultra gun I could use the action towards an edge build when I am not a poorish college kid.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 7 rum

From my research a couple of years ago, I was really sold on the 7STW. It will slightly out run the RUM and with a 162 A-max or 180 Berger you are going to kill anything within 1500yrds with that round. Barrel life is a tough one to assume. It depends on bullets, powders, and velocity. The slower the powder the better the barrel life. The lighter the bullet, higher velocity, more throat erosion due to faster burning powders, equals shorter barrel life. So it is a matter of what you want to do. You don't have to push it to its max either if you can find a lower power load that works. Making sure you clean regularly but not over cleaning will determine your barrel life. If you run 180's with slow powders, you can probably expect 800 to 1000, but that might be pushing it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

Tank,

I can't imagin the STW will out run a RUM, all things being equal.....But, I have never even seen a RUM, and my experiance with the STW was very short lived due to a very poor factory chamber.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xforfun View Post
Tank,

I can't imagin the STW will out run a RUM, all things being equal.....But, I have never even seen a RUM, and my experiance with the STW was very short lived due to a very poor factory chamber.
I just looked at reloadersnest.com and did some comparing. It looks as though they run neck and neck in the 168 and 180 grain bullets. I did see that there is a load for the STW that is almost 3200fps and the RUM is at 3125fps. That's not a real significant difference. Maybe the real question is, which is easier to find a load for. It seems to me both were very picky rounds for load development. My brother-in-law did some loading for an STW. If I remember correctly he loaded with IMR 7828, but not sure what powder. He said it was a tack driver, but this is on a custom rig. Unfortunately I don't know what the specs are on the rifle.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Bronze Member

My brother's runs the 180bergers at 3190 avg from his 26" barrel. He had been shooting 168SMK's but to be honest I could run them in my 7REM almost as fast as he could push them with a whole lot less powder. From what I've seen the 180 Berger or heavier bullets are the only ones that make sense for this round due to huge powder capacity.

He hasn't had it long enough for me to tell you how it's throat / barrel is doing. He's probably only to 400 rounds through it. Currently it will still smack a bowling ball at 950 yards with the first round....
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

I would agree that these will shine with the big bullets. I always wanted to do a RUM or similar with the 200 gr ULD RBBT bullet, but it sounds like getting bullets is "iffy".
Old 09-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

I emailed looking for bullets and never got a response for the 200gr maybe it just didn't go through or I put the wrong email in.

I am torn between 7 rum or 7 something compared to a 300 RUM or similar because the same crappy barrel life essentially. I just want a new toy but I am on a semi tight budget so I opted out of a 338 class anything.

In my head I can get a Rem 700 in 7 RUM with scope, new stock and shoot out the factory barrel and practice then save up for action work and new barrel be on my way.