Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7 mm lrm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: 7 mm lrm

I get a kick out of the 7mm RUM dislike as well. I don't have a 7mm, but if I did, it would be the RUM. The RUM gets blasted for requiring more powder, reduced barrel life, and increased recoil. Well, if you do the cost calculations, the increase in powder cost is less than five cents per round. If you say the STW can take 500 more rounds down a tube than the RUM, you are talking about an increase of less than 25 cents per round. So, for typically 100fps increase (AZShooter's results don't match this, but it is typically what I have heard) you are going to pay 30 cents per round...seems worth it for me, especially in a gun that you aren't going to be shooting a lot. As for the recoil portion, if someone can really tell the difference in recoil between the RUM, STW, or LRM, I would be amazed.

It will be interesting to see how popular the RUM becomes with the introduction of the 195 bergers and the increased popularity of RL33.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
I get a kick out of the 7mm RUM dislike as well. I don't have a 7mm, but if I did, it would be the RUM. The RUM gets blasted for requiring more powder, reduced barrel life, and increased recoil. Well, if you do the cost calculations, the increase in powder cost is less than five cents per round. If you say the STW can take 500 more rounds down a tube than the RUM, you are talking about an increase of less than 25 cents per round. So, for typically 100fps increase (AZShooter's results don't match this, but it is typically what I have heard) you are going to pay 30 cents per round...seems worth it for me, especially in a gun that you aren't going to be shooting a lot. As for the recoil portion, if someone can really tell the difference in recoil between the RUM, STW, or LRM, I would be amazed.

It will be interesting to see how popular the RUM becomes with the introduction of the 195 bergers and the increased popularity of RL33.
How can one say anything about results of a certian caliber when they don't have one? The OP wanted to know about the 7lrm or 7/300.
If you've never owned one or shot a 7mm rum( don't know if you have or not) yes!!! You can tell the differants in recoile from other 7mm! I think most will agree with that! Just my 2cts!!

DT
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Tinsley View Post
How can one say anything about results of a certian caliber when they don't have one? The OP wanted to know about the 7lrm or 7/300.
If you've never owned one or shot a 7mm rum( don't know if you have or not) yes!!! You can tell the differants in recoile from other 7mm! I think most will agree with that! Just my 2cts!!

DT
The 7mm RUM was mentioned, hence me mentioning it. And just because I don't own one of these choices doesn't mean I haven't shot one. If you are comparing the RUM to a 7mag, yes you might notice a difference. RUM versus STW or LRM? Not significant IMO
Old 06-15-2014, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann brezinski View Post
Can any one give me their thoughts on this case as compared to the 7 mm on the 300 winchester magnum?i am just tring to see if there is a advantage to the 7 mm lrm over the 7 mm on the 300 win mag.
Gary b
This is the first post of this thread, from the original OP! Don't see anything about the 7mm rum. Also, never said you haven't shot one, just didn't know if you have or have not. Again, if you have( not saying you haven't) shot a 7rum on a regular basis an shot other 7mm, there is an you can tell that there is a differants in recoile! Anyway it's not the RUM that the OP is asking about!

DT
Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Love reading these threads on all the different 7mm wildcats you guys play with. Out of curiousity, it seems like not many people shoot the 7mm rem ultra mag... you all seem to shoot stw's, rem mags, dakota, wsm's, 7/300wm, 7lrm, etc. maybe i just miss threads about the 7 rum, or is there something you guys don't like about it?
The first post about the RUM...followed by many others. I'm not starting my own thread and going off on some tangent here. And like say, the 7mag versus the RUM, yes you can tell a difference. But something like the STW vs the RUM? Nothing significant from what I can tell...
Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Yup - I got this thread off tangent and asked about the 7RUM, I admit it. Sorry 'bout that.

Still good discussion so keep it coming!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
The first post about the RUM...followed by many others. I'm not starting my own thread and going off on some tangent here. And like say, the 7mag versus the RUM, yes you can tell a difference. But something like the STW vs the RUM? Nothing significant from what I can tell...
Coulda fooled me!

DT