Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7.62x39????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 7.62x39????

As it turns out, he can handle the recoil of the .308 Winny. So I have some slow loads put together with 150 Hornady SPT. As long as he is prone on my LR rifle, he can handle full power loads.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Jr. View Post
I have to admit to having given it enough thought to decide it wasn't worth the effort, for me anyway. Then the 6.8 came out and has me thinking about doing that one in a little bolt gun for exactly the same reasons! That and I've always been a .277 guy I'm made some mention of this to Joel Russo about making a "mini tactical" for my son. I guess if I want to get it done while he still needs a "mini" I need to lay out some cash. They grow up quick!
Yep. 6.8, 6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem all better choices.

To your question tank, the .308's will rattle around in there and have accuracy issues. You also won't be able to reach standard velocities unless you up the powder charge.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Yep. 6.8, 6.5x47 Lapua, .260 Rem all better choices.

To your question tank, the .308's will rattle around in there and have accuracy issues. You also won't be able to reach standard velocities unless you up the powder charge.
My thoughts were using a normal .308 barrel, and cutting a chamber for the 7.62x39. So it would prefer the .308 bullet instead of the .311. It was just a thought at the time.

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

We all have them from time to time... .

I think the 6.8 or 260 would either one be great for you son. My best friend ran off with my nail driving custom 6.8 mini 14 for his son's first "deer rifle".

Trouble is his 10yo girl likes it even better so I doubt I'll ever get it back HA!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
We all have them from time to time... .

I think the 6.8 or 260 would either one be great for you son. My best friend ran off with my nail driving custom 6.8 mini 14 for his son's first "deer rifle".

Trouble is his 10yo girl likes it even better so I doubt I'll ever get it back HA!
Other than not being able to hold it up, he is very capable of using my 308 carry gun. I'll just have to have shooting sticks handy.

Tank

Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

I know this thread is old, and Tank's already had the kid out hunting by now, but I wanted to chime in on the 7.62x39.

I have one WASR 10 that spits out 154 gr wolf soft points and has reliably killed one 8-pointer and several does the last two years with no follow up shots and devastating wound cavities, shot distances ranging from 30-225 yards. In all instances, smallish hole going in, large gaping travesty on the off side and slot of destroyed tissue.

The 260 rem needs a long barrel. To achieve it's optimum performance, 24 in is ideal. I have a Ruger Mk 11 with short stock and 18 in barrel and it leaves much to be desired in terms of accuracy, but it is light. My mom now uses it.

.308 is a bit heavy for a kid, but if he's up to it, then I'd say go for it!

No experience with the 6.8, other than ballistics research. Think I'd prefer to be caught on the trigger end of the 300 blackout.

I've used (legally in my state) the 5.56 NATO for deer. Before I'm bashed, it is legal in my state, doesn't tear up meat, and is more than adequate for taking big MO whitetails. Speed is the killer with this round, pass throughs are indefinite at 0-300 yds, and it has no recoil. I do not feel under gunned with my lil 223 rem, as it accurately puts Barnes Vor Tx tsx in the boiler room, and no runs past 30-40 yards. There's another option if PA let's you use em.

As for x39.... I've heard folks scoff at the idea that the Russian shorty is the twin of the 30-30. Bull hockey. The trajectory of the x39 is flatter past their "twin" ranges, and the x39 will carry more energy upon arrival. 100-200 fps is a substantial difference when comparing the two, and the 30-30 just plain pooters out quicker. IMHO, I would not be caught choosing a 30-30 over a 7.62x39. The Saiga I'm getting this Friday is going to replace the WASR with it's so-so accuracy, and become my new deep woods gun. I don't expect sub MOA, but it will do it's part.

It's a great country we live in when we can have choices.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

"...large gaping travesty..."

I like that, I'm gonna steal that if you don't mind.

I agree that the 7.62x39 is a great short range deer killer with soft point ammo. I've killed many with mine and have always been impressed. I used to use the 30-30 as a comparison as well, but the new Hornady stuff kills that idea.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.