Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

7/08 Rifle recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 AM

7/08 Rifle recommendations?

Hi LRHers,

My first post. I've come for your experience and wisdoms.

As the title suggests, I'm looking to purchase a LRHing rifle in 7mm-08 and I'm a little overwhelmed by the number of different brands & models. Would like to hear some opinions.

Here are some desirable features. I'm prepared to make some compromises:
  • I think I like the 180grain VLD hunting proj which calls for "1:9" or faster". Most 7/08s I have seen come with 1:9.5 twist. I think that should be ok for the heavy rounds I plan to use..
  • Pref around/under $2000 AUD (1800 USD)
  • Heavy barrel
  • Synthetic stock
  • I'm kacky handed (Left)
  • Barrel length? I know there's a relationship between cartridge and optimal length but haven't worked out exactly what that is..

Thanks in advance
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 7/08 Rifle recommendations?

7mm08 and long-range shooting is a oxymoron.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli View Post
7mm08 and long-range shooting is a oxymoron.
Thanks mate, very informative!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
Silver Member

I have never heard of a 180 grain load in the 7mm-08. I know the 7 mag family of cartridges normally shoot that heavy of a bullet in a 1:9 inch twist. I would recommend a 1:9 to 1:10 twist for the 7mm-08. I would say that the 7mm-08 is a solid 750 yard performer with the proper equipment and PRACTICE! a 140 grain remington accutip boat tail is leaving the barrel at 2,860 FPS with 2600lbs of Kenetic energy. At 500 yards you will have a drop of 50 inches with a velocity of 1,987 FPS and 1227lbs of KE which is plenty for deer sized game. With reloading I am sure you will be able to develop your load to suit your needs. It will have a ballistic coefficient roughly in the .450's. What is your goal with the rifle? Targets, Large Game, Varmints, ELR rock busting?

For rifles why is 2,000 your limit? Do you want a semi custom rifle? I would look at the remington model 7, remington model 700, cooper, savage, weatherby, and tikka. All of those minus the cooper will be under 1,000 depending on model. You can always build a 7mm-08 off of a remington action but that might push your 2,000 dollar budget. Savage might be a better option since its cheaper, just as accurate, and you can do most of the gunsmithing yourself. For barrel length, a 24 inch heavy barrel will do you fine.

Also, there is a gentleman on here who is using his .308 winchester for extreme long range shooting (I think he has it shooting to 1,200 yards accurately right now). He will have useful info on pushing the limits of cartridges.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Silver Member

I know this isnt the 7mm-08 but this article is great and its still in the .308 family of cartridges.

308Win @ ELR
Old 07-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300whisper View Post
I have never heard of a 180 grain load in the 7mm-08. I know the 7 mag family of cartridges normally shoot that heavy of a bullet in a 1:9 inch twist. I would recommend a 1:9 to 1:10 twist for the 7mm-08. I would say that the 7mm-08 is a solid 750 yard performer with the proper equipment and PRACTICE! a 140 grain remington accutip boat tail is leaving the barrel at 2,860 FPS with 2600lbs of Kenetic energy. At 500 yards you will have a drop of 50 inches with a velocity of 1,987 FPS and 1227lbs of KE which is plenty for deer sized game. With reloading I am sure you will be able to develop your load to suit your needs. It will have a ballistic coefficient roughly in the .450's. What is your goal with the rifle? Targets, Large Game, Varmints, ELR rock busting?

For rifles why is 2,000 your limit? Do you want a semi custom rifle? I would look at the remington model 7, remington model 700, cooper, savage, weatherby, and tikka. All of those minus the cooper will be under 1,000 depending on model. You can always build a 7mm-08 off of a remington action but that might push your 2,000 dollar budget. Savage might be a better option since its cheaper, just as accurate, and you can do most of the gunsmithing yourself. For barrel length, a 24 inch heavy barrel will do you fine.

Also, there is a gentleman on here who is using his .308 winchester for extreme long range shooting (I think he has it shooting to 1,200 yards accurately right now). He will have useful info on pushing the limits of cartridges.
I have some sitting in my safe right now to test out... Been sittin there for probably a year now.

My rifle's not a good candidate, though, being it has a really short barrel and the mag box is extremely short (Ruger 77 MKII mountain rifle). But I could single-feed them.

I look at it as the 7mm equivelant of my .308 Win shooting 210 VLD's.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Gold Member

Your parameters indicate a semi custom would be called for.

I also understand that there are 'rules' in AU that restrict some configurations.

If it were me....

Manufacture: Savage- wide range of left hand offerings
Model: 16/116 FLCSS (if you can't have a removeable mag go with the 11/111)
L = Left hand
C = Composite
SS = Stainless Steel
Caliber to order: 30-06
A useful barrel in the future.
Changes to make:
Order a custom 26" to 28" 7mm-08 Barrel with a twist between 8 and 9, profile 5 or 6 Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Barrel Contour Data.
If there is anything left over get a Hogue stock.