Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

6mm f-class caliber!!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GEORGIA
Posts: 1,186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo318 View Post
I know this about wssm's thats why i dont want one. Now i either want a 6mm remington in a 30 inch tube, or a 243 in a 30 inch tube. And 55 grainers for long range comepetition? haha your funny.
I had my barrel cut to a length of 26 inches because you only lose about 15 fps for every inch and the difference in weight & forward weight was more important to me. Also the extra weight on the end of your barrel can make your rifle front heavy which makes holding it horizontal more difficult and since it out of balance it will feel heaver even though it isn't. gun- - - - - - - - - -

joseph

PS: I would also get a Brux barrel ( every one of them are guaranteed to be match quality ) with 1 in 8 inch twist and shoot 105 gr. Berger VLDs for competition & everything else you shoot at.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GEORGIA
Posts: 1,186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo318 View Post
I know this about wssm's thats why i dont want one. Now i either want a 6mm remington in a 30 inch tube, or a 243 in a 30 inch tube. And 55 grainers for long range comepetition? haha your funny.
I didn't use 55 gr. bullets for long range. They were the only bullets that shot close to 1/2" groups. All the others shot between 1+1/4" and 1+1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I finally went to my 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs. Which cost me $1443.00 plus scope.

joseph
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
6mm f-class caliber!!!-pst-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I had my barrel cut to a length of 26 inches because you only lose about 15 fps for every inch and the difference in weight & forward weight was more important to me. Also the extra weight on the end of your barrel can make your rifle front heavy which makes holding it horizontal more difficult and since it out of balance it will feel heaver even though it isn't. gun- - - - - - - - - -

joseph

PS: I would also get a Brux barrel ( every one of them are guaranteed to be match quality ) with 1 in 8 inch twist and shoot 105 gr. Berger VLDs for competition & everything else you shoot at.
1 inch for 15 fps huh? Because i thought the same thing with my 300 win mag and cut 2 inches off.... i lost 200 fps, i got a new barrel for it and had it in 30 inches. I had a 200 FPS gain from the old 28 inch barrel..... The 6mm remington with a 30 inch barrel and hot loads can drive a 105 grain bullet at 3400 FPS....
__________________
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I didn't use 55 gr. bullets for long range. They were the only bullets that shot close to 1/2" groups. All the others shot between 1+1/4" and 1+1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I finally went to my 6mm Norma BR. with Berger 105 gr. VLDs. Which cost me $1443.00 plus scope.

joseph
I got a bit of personal information that i wanna share with you right now! I got a chubby right now oh my god i cant believe it AAAAHHHH (Line on my favorite movie ).... wow that is a nice rifle, mind sharing some specs
And i just cant afford almost a dollar for 1 piece of brass because its from lapua and norma...
__________________
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: GEORGIA
Posts: 1,186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Banjo I should have said "I" instead of "YOU" lose 15 fps per inch on my 6mm Norma BR. Actually it was about 70 fps. from my 30 inch barrel to 26 inches. My rifle was very front heavy and I am not comfortable with front heavy rifles. He was talking about a .243 and I was commenting on that. You can kill an elk at over 600 yds with a .243, but I would use my .30 caliber. My 6mm Norma BR. was built for antelope which I probably would not shoot one much past 600 yds.

joseph

PS: Now at the time we were believing the numbers on the chronographs were accurate and we did use two different ones. One when the barrel was 30 inches and then another one when the barrel was cut down to 26 inches.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Banjo I should have said "I" instead of "YOU" lose 15 fps per inch on my 6mm Norma BR. Actually it was about 70 fps. from my 30 inch barrel to 26 inches. My rifle was very front heavy and I am not comfortable with front heavy rifles. He was talking about a .243 and I was commenting on that. You can kill an elk at over 600 yds with a .243, but I would use my .30 caliber. My 6mm Norma BR. was built for antelope which I probably would not shoot one much past 600 yds.

joseph

PS: Now at the time we were believing the numbers on the chronographs were accurate and we did use two different ones. One when the barrel was 30 inches and then another one when the barrel was cut down to 26 inches.
I never said that... i was simply saying thats wierd that you only had a loss of 30 fps with it... i didnt mean for the huh to sound like i was gonna argue and tell you you werent correct. I was saying it like i found something out and i was surprised by it.
__________________
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 186
Re: 6mm f-class caliber!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Banjo I should have said "I" instead of "YOU" lose 15 fps per inch on my 6mm Norma BR. Actually it was about 70 fps. from my 30 inch barrel to 26 inches. My rifle was very front heavy and I am not comfortable with front heavy rifles. He was talking about a .243 and I was commenting on that. You can kill an elk at over 600 yds with a .243, but I would use my .30 caliber. My 6mm Norma BR. was built for antelope which I probably would not shoot one much past 600 yds.

joseph

PS: Now at the time we were believing the numbers on the chronographs were accurate and we did use two different ones. One when the barrel was 30 inches and then another one when the barrel was cut down to 26 inches.
thats the bad thing about talking on the internet. there is no tone to what you are saying.
__________________
Guns I own: 300 winchester magnum, 7mm Rem mag, 243, H&R 22 revolver, BT99 12 gauge, 20 gauge break action. 20 gauge pump, 22 break action, 257 Roberts, winchester super x 1. Wishlist: 308 winchester, 6.5mm-284 Norma, 17 HMR, 7mm RUM, another 7mm rem mag LOL, 44 magnum revolver, 30-30 lever action, 44 lever action.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 60.73%
883 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 37.00%
538 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.27%
33 Votes
Total Votes: 1,454
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC