Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

600 Yards on a Budget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:19 PM

600 Yards on a Budget

First post here, ive been doing a lot of reading and i love the site!

Im a Deer and Elk hunter in the Northwest and im trying to do a 600 yard gun on a budget until i have the money to upgrade to what I want for the future.

Currently I have a tikka T3 in a .270 Win with a leupold Vx3 3.5-10x40.

Im looking for opinions on how to best set this gun up for under 600 Yard shots on deer, elk and black bear.

Currently i do not reload so i want to get into reloading for this caliber right now, and expand to other calibers later.

My questions are what bullet would you recommend for a .270 win if im reloading?

What are the best/most cost effective modifications i can do to my tikka to increase its accuracy?

Is it stupid to try this with a .270 win or would it be better to build it to a .270 weatherby mag or completely different caliber?

Finally, Can my Leupold VX-3 be upgraded for LR hunting or would i be better off buying a completely different scope?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance and once again i realize that this is not the "Ideal" Gun for 600 yard shots on deer/elk/black bear, but until i can afford to upgrade and do it right, i would like to use this gun.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: 600 Yards on a Budget

Your rifle is plenty capable of being a 600 yard rifle. I think your starting in the right place with reloading. I will let some others with more experience with the .270 comment on what bullet but as far as the rifle goes a good gunsmith could tune up your factory trigger or drop in a timney. Your scope if it is repeatable is capable and does not have to be upgraded right away. Honestly before I started spending money I'd find a round it shoots well and just shoot it. Test it's limits (and yours) and find the weaknesses and then you'll know what needs to be upgraded to best suit your particular needs. HSM makes good factory ammo till you get your reloads going.
Practice, trigger, reload would be the order of priorities for me. 600 yards is not hard to achieve with a little trigger time.

P.S. I would either sell your scope and buy one with turrets or add them to yours. A Vortex scope may serve you well but make sure you get either moa/moa or mil/mil do not get moa/mil. By this I mean make sure your reticle and turrets are the same.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Don't know much about the 270 except seems like most everyone has one. The Leupold can be sent into the custom shop and have M1 turrets installed. I did that and it worked well. The only downside is the M1 windage turret sticks out a little more than a inch and a quarter and if you hand carry the rifle much it will hit you in the wrist and there is no way to slip it into a scabbard. Very annoying and I would advise to just get the elevation turret and not worry about dialing the wind if you stay below 600 yards and hand carry the rifle while hiking.

Oh yeah if your left handed the above stuff doesn't matter.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

Your 270 win is a great start! Here's a great article to read! 270 Win For Long Range Shooting

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM

Thanks for the help guys! After reading that article i have no doubt my .270 win will do what i want it to for now.

Any Suggestions on reloading setups?

What about other accuracy modifications for a tikka t3 hunter.....

I would mess with the trigger but i really like it in stock form.

Thanks-Gibson
Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Don't know much about the 270 except seems like most everyone has one. The Leupold can be sent into the custom shop and have M1 turrets installed. I did that and it worked well. The only downside is the M1 windage turret sticks out a little more than a inch and a quarter and if you hand carry the rifle much it will hit you in the wrist and there is no way to slip it into a scabbard. Very annoying and I would advise to just get the elevation turret and not worry about dialing the wind if you stay below 600 yards and hand carry the rifle while hiking.

Oh yeah if your left handed the above stuff doesn't matter.
+1 on sending your Leupold back to the factory for the addition of a M1 dial, I had this done to about four of my oldmleupold scopes and it works great for dialing elevation, it cost me about $80 a scope, the vx-3 is a good enough scope to 600 yds. Give the custom a shop a call and they will take care of you.......I also use their Mk-4 tatical scopes on some hunting rifles but they are quite bulky so I have moved to ordering vx-3 LR scopes with a 30mm tube 40mm objective and M-1 dial with their TMR reticle. This is a good mix between bulk,weight and offers the same reticle as a tatical long range scope but in a more compact package......an alternative would be a CDS dial as I had one installed on a scout scope but I don't like it as much cause it turns to easy for my taste.

Your Tika rifle should be a very capable rig....I have a couple friends with them and they are usually shooters out of the box.

As for reloading equipment, I'm an RCBS press and redding die fan nowadays.

I don't save any money reloading but I do shoot aheck of a lot more!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonKuenzi View Post
First post here, ive been doing a lot of reading and i love the site!

Im a Deer and Elk hunter in the Northwest and im trying to do a 600 yard gun on a budget until i have the money to upgrade to what I want for the future.

Currently I have a tikka T3 in a .270 Win with a leupold Vx3 3.5-10x40.

Im looking for opinions on how to best set this gun up for under 600 Yard shots on deer, elk and black bear.

Currently i do not reload so i want to get into reloading for this caliber right now, and expand to other calibers later.

My questions are what bullet would you recommend for a .270 win if im reloading?

What are the best/most cost effective modifications i can do to my tikka to increase its accuracy?

Is it stupid to try this with a .270 win or would it be better to build it to a .270 weatherby mag or completely different caliber?

Finally, Can my Leupold VX-3 be upgraded for LR hunting or would i be better off buying a completely different scope?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance and once again i realize that this is not the "Ideal" Gun for 600 yard shots on deer/elk/black bear, but until i can afford to upgrade and do it right, i would like to use this gun.
You're already there. Just take it out and shoot it. You might want to add a muzzle brake though just to be able to see your impacts at all ranges which will help you a great deal especially if you shoot alone.

Out to 600yds it's nothing but marksmanship. From there on out is where things get complicated and then more complicated and then very complicated.

Set it up to where you are comfortable and shooting 1-2moa max at 100yds and then 600 is just a drop chart and range finder away. Find yourself a decent 1 MOA load if you can, if you can't then 2MOA will still get the job done.

As others suggested if you want to stay with your original scope just get a custom turret or get leupold to install you an M1 elevation turret and you'll be good to go.

Of course once you master that you'll go completely nuts wanting to "upgrade" it to the point of .25moa if at all possible and then you can really blow a wad of money.

Welcome.