Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5mm keyhole at 500 yds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5mm keyhole at 500 yds.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
This is VERY common; especially with bullets that don't expand. This is very typical with the smk's.........Rich
Rich, would you say this was more common for the long, high BC bullets which require greater SF's?

I've also read a number of posts describing pencil holes made by SMK's, Bergers and TSX's that didn't expand.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Rich, would you say this was more common for the long, high BC bullets which require greater SF's?

I've also read a number of posts describing pencil holes made by SMK's, Bergers and TSX's that didn't expand.
That has been my experience. I think once the bullet ogive is turned slightly without expanding, it tends to steer the bullet that direction like a rudder. At the velocities they are traveling, it doesn't take much to swap ends, especially when twist is a little lacking. I have often seen unexpanded bullets do this in water tests. It seems when the bullet expands quickly, they tend to tumble less. I've always assumed that it is at least partly because a mushroomed bullet will have more weight forward which tends to keep the front end in the lead. Thats my theory and I'm stickin to it! The SMK's are famous for it......Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 03-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist here, but I watched a documentary on the History channel where they replicated the shot made on Kennedy with the same exact bullet, rifle, height of shot, and distance. It proves the banana effect and trajectory stabilization theory. Quite interesting if you get to see it.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Is OK for what application? Paper punching or hunting? How long are the Scenar 123's?

GS recommends a minimum of 1.1 for their bullets and 1.4 for general hunting shorter than 500m, and 1.6 for dangerous game and brush.

A stability factor of 1 is basically on the edge of stability.
The length of the 123 gr. Scenar is 1.303". Another bit of information is the hollow point is very small. I poked a small diameter wire in and found that from the bullet tip to the lead inside the jacket it's almost .5".

The result of the calculation done by JBM is 1.72.

So far just paper punching but I will need a reliable expanding bullet for deer hunting.

Last edited by markb1951; 03-26-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb1951 View Post
The length of the 123 gr. Scenar is 1.303". Another bit of information is the hollow point is very small. I poked a small diameter wire in and found that from the bullet tip to the lead inside the jacket it's almost .5".

The result of the calculation done by JBM is 1.72.

So far just paper punching but I will need a reliable expanding bullet for deer hunting.
Interesting... That SF should be fine. The GS SF's do assume expansion, so maybe the non-expanding bullets have a greater tendency to swap ends on contact... the CG being to the aft of the bullet.

Have you considered the 130 Sciroccos? They are on my short list for a 6.5 plinking and hunting bullet. I've also asked GS to design a 6.5 LR bullet as well.