Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5mm keyhole at 500 yds.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM

6.5mm keyhole at 500 yds.

I have begun shooting at extended ranges a short time ago and experienced an unusual happening. Some background to explain, caliber is 6.5x284, 24" barrel 1 in 8 twist, Lapua brass, Lapua Scenar 123 gr., 2975 FPS muzzle velocity, target was at 503 yds. The target was a 2 liter plastic pop bottle filled with water with a 2' by 3' piece of ceiling tile placed 12" behind the bottle. The bullet entered the bottle with a round hole and left with a triangular hole, no explosion of the bottle, only holes front and rear. It then entered the tile at 90 degrees leaving a hole that the bullet will lay in. Any ideas?

Last edited by markb1951; 03-26-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5mm keyhole at 500 yds.

Sounds like a normal reaction to me. Anytime a bullets path is altered in any way i.e.: water, tree, bottles, etc. you cause the bullet to loose energy in its flight path causing cavitation. This cavitation is what causes some bullets to tumble through animals and targets after impact rather than passing through unchanged. Depending on the construction of the bullet will also effect the flight of the bullet. An example would be a FMJ vs a SGK. The FMJ is designed to maintain its shape when penetrating an object, whereby a soft point bullet such as the SGK is made to deform. The reason you got a hole in side 1, is due to the fact it was at its optimum performance. Side 2 with the triangle you started seeing the effect of the bullet coming apart or deforming. The target is a result of lost performance of the bullet entering the bottle, losing momentum in the water and penetrating the rear surface and then hitting the tile. That is about as simple a terms as I can hypothesize and use the little bit of knowledge on physics that I can give you. As far as the bottle not exploding, if it is not filled to the very top where pressure will have no where to go, then it will more than likely pass through with no explosion and a couple holes. These are only my thoughts, but pretty sure I'm on track.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Silver Member

I don't see anything strange there at all. The water will certainly cause the bullet to lose stability and start to tumble. It's cool you captured it with the backer.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Scenar's are known for not opening up either.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 AM

Liltank, I guess my experiences (at shorter ranges) the destruction of the bottle is complete. The Scenar jacket must be very tough. My plan is to use the rifle for deer hunting, so it looks like Scenars are out. Anybody have any recommendations on a bullet in the 120 - 130 gr. range to use? Nosler Ballistic Tip, Berger, and Hornady SST will be the next choices.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

It was simply under stabilized for terminal penetration. A well stabilized bullet would have continued in a straight path.

-Mark
Old 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
It was simply under stabilized for terminal penetration. A well stabilized bullet would have continued in a straight path.

-Mark
Do you think that 1 in 8 twist should have stabilized the bullet, or am I missing something?