Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5mm or 300 wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Re: 6.5mm or 300 wsm

This is a little untimely.

Did you ever consider the 6.5 Creedmoor?

I have a friend with one he loves - great at longer range & easier on the barrel.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5mm or 300 wsm

Well I have the 300WSM. I use a 208grn Hornady A-max. Using this weight bullet is a great option and will help you really reach out. To use something this heavy you have to reload. The heaviest I have seen in factory is 180grn of some type. This caliber is going to out shine the 6.5's at greater distance for taking game. My current set up with hand loading has the potential to take a Whitetail at 1200yrds. The 6.5's are done at about 800yrds.

If you are seriously considering reloading, then the skies the limit. You could build yourself any 6.5 bullet you want and have a great rifle. The 6.5 Swede is more appealing to me than the 260 Rem. just for the sake of the boiler room. The Swede can essentially out perform the 260 Rem. by 50 to 100fps. It is also a long action where the 260 is a short action which is a greater advantage in the weight realm. So each has its flaws, but both can be very effective when hand loaded.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!