Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5mm-06 or the 6.5x284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5mm-06 or the 6.5x284

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Good question. I would go with head stamped Lapua 6.5x284.
We definitely agree on this! I am OCD and can't stand to have non-correct caliber headstamps. In other words, I don't form any brass for other calibers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Gold Member

I got 1 box of 100 from Norma and several weeks later another from Lapua. Hard to get any brass at all right now...
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps it's the cartridge design, or maybe I've just been lucky but the 6.5x284's I own, s Savsge and a Cooper in factory will out shoot any custom or factory hunting rifle I've owned for over 40 years including a 6.5-06. Nothing fancy, 140 Bergers with 57.5 gr of Retumbo, Lapua brass. I'm hooked.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 06-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

My dad has a 6.5-06AI. He uses necked down 30-06 Lapua brass. Pretty much all he shoots is the 140 Berger and out of a 26.5 Lilja tube he is running them right at 3150-3165. It's a semi custom built off of a Howa 1500 LA w/Manners stock, nothing to fancy for sure but that thing shoots as good as anything either one of us own. Even knowing how well his 6.5-06ai shoots, he and I both have agreed that if he had it to do all over again, he would have built a 6.5-284. Even if his wasn't the improved version, he would still have gone 6.5-284 if he was starting from scratch. I don't know if one will really shoot any better than the other because all 3 of these 6.5 versions shoot extremely well. They all shoot very close to one another FPS wise but the 6.5-284 is just soooooo damn easy. If a little extra work and a bit more cost for dies doesn't concern you and what you really want is a 6.5-06, by all means have one built. You certainly won't be disappointed with either the 6.5-06 or 6.5-06AI
Old 06-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I've never played with the 06' version but I do love the 6.5x284. When there is equal or near equal potential between a long skinny case and a shorter fatter case, I'll take the shorter fatter version. It is my opinion that they burn a bit more cleanly and efficiently. That said, it's just my opinion. Also, I prefer short actions if at all possible and despite the popularity of it being used on a long action I have found a short action with a Wyatt box mag to be plenty. The standard reasoning behind seating bullets so far out is for case capacity. In all reality, unless you're going to pack retumbo to the hilt, you can't fill the case up with the most popular and proven powders without having a bomb in the chamber. 51-53 grains of 4831SC leaves air in the case as it is. Even with a COAL of 2.990" which is about all the extended box will feed smoothly. H4350 utilizes even less load density. Those 2 powders are widely used in this case for a darn good reason. RL22 is maxed out around 53-54 as well. The other reasoning is donuts in the bottom of the case neck. Guys don't like to seat the boat tail/bearing surface beyond the neck/shoulder junction. A K&M neck turner will remove any donuts. You don't have to turn the neck either if you choose not to. Touching the lands is also popular. A custom barrel can be throated to any dummy round leaving no serious reason to build one on a long action.

Ironically, I'm having one put together on a long action as we speak. It just so happens that the action I have available is a long and it's bedded to my favorite stock. I prefer a short action but am happy to use it on a long one.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.