Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
All good ideas, but I've got a 25 year love affair with the 7mm STW so sticking with the same case just makes sense to me but the 8x68S is tempting.
You said try to talk you out of it, so I tried

One last shot... do something a little different, do the 6.5x68S Imp

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 11-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Platinum Member

If this won't nothing will!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Scot E.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
If this won't nothing will!

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

Scot E.
Yep I've looked at it, read about it and the 3.5x300wsm.

Realistically though they aren't giving better performance than even the old 6.5Rem Mag which I am definitely leaning towards for my wife just because there are some really nice factory rifles in that caliber for a song most of which are Rem 600's or 660's in a small carbine/youth model which is basically what she needs since she barely gets to five foot tall if she stretches.

I do keep hoping that if we bump this enough times some of the 6.5STW guys will see the thread and give me their thoughts.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:27 AM
Silver Member

Well I have read the post. One I did not see was a 6.5 / 338 Norma mag. Called the 6.5 Promethus does 3700 with 140's was on this forumn. I would like to try a 6.5 Remington short mag long throat.

Good Luck and God Bless

Jeff
Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Yep I've looked at it, read about it and the 3.5x300wsm.

Realistically though they aren't giving better performance than even the old 6.5Rem Mag which I am definitely leaning towards for my wife just because there are some really nice factory rifles in that caliber for a song most of which are Rem 600's or 660's in a small carbine/youth model which is basically what she needs since she barely gets to five foot tall if she stretches.

I do keep hoping that if we bump this enough times some of the 6.5STW guys will see the thread and give me their thoughts.
I guess if you take barrel life and throat erosion out of the equation you may be right but I personally love the concept running everything that cartridge shoots at such low pressures. If nothing else it keeps guys in their accuracy node as the throat wear doesn't mean they are always chasing the lands to keep top accuracy.

I don't think if you compare real world pressure you are in the same ball park with performance in the 6.5 Rem.

Good luck. Sounds like no matter what direction you go you are going to have a nice shooter!

Scot E.