close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 364
Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

Go for it

I love my short very light 26" 6.5 WSM, 120 GMX @ 3450 fps.

It really works well, terminal performance is silly, it isn't a LR rifle but shoots sub moa well past 1000 with its thin Shillen barrel.

Tends to be my go to hunting rifle for some reason

The STW would be awesome
Reply With Quote
  •   #16  
    Unread 11-15-2013, 06:22 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Great Falls, MT
    Posts: 8,947
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    Sorry if I'm no help either but since when does a guy need to justify what he wants.

    Whatcha waiting for ... go for it!!!
    __________________

    I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



    "I am always proud of my country!"

    "Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
    Reply With Quote

      #17  
    Unread 11-15-2013, 12:09 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2013
    Location: Nebraska
    Posts: 436
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    Sorry if I'm no help either but since when does a guy need to justify what he wants.

    Whatcha waiting for ... go for it!!!
    THIS ^ is he BEST answer I have seen so far on this thread!
    __________________
    Vegetarian ~ noun, Ancient Indian word for "poor hunter".
    Reply With Quote
      #18  
    Unread 11-15-2013, 09:03 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
    Posts: 6,068
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    If you want a big case 6.5 you might look at using the 7 or 300 Dakota. My next 6.5 will be off the 300 Dakota. The brass is spendy but its' good.

    Another option is using the 8x68S and improving it. The improved 8x68S will have almost the same capacity as the STW and Dakota. Norma brass is available for a very reasonable price.
    __________________
    - Mark

    You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
    ~ John Quincy Adams
    Reply With Quote
      #19  
    Unread 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,301
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    If you want a big case 6.5 you might look at using the 7 or 300 Dakota. My next 6.5 will be off the 300 Dakota. The brass is spendy but its' good.

    Another option is using the 8x68S and improving it. The improved 8x68S will have almost the same capacity as the STW and Dakota. Norma brass is available for a very reasonable price.
    All good ideas, but I've got a 25 year love affair with the 7mm STW so sticking with the same case just makes sense to me but the 8x68S is tempting.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #20  
    Unread 11-16-2013, 01:31 AM
    Bronze Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Posts: 39
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    I have a 6.5x 68 RWS and love it. After the first of the year , I'm going to build a 6.5x68 imp. Going to draw one up, never heard of anyone shooting one.
    Reply With Quote
      #21  
    Unread 11-16-2013, 05:18 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Great Falls, MT
    Posts: 8,947
    Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    ... but I've got a 25 year love affair with the 7mm STW so sticking with the same case just makes sense to me but the 8x68S is tempting.
    GEEZ!!!



    It's not going to be your last one ...
    __________________

    I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



    "I am always proud of my country!"

    "Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an ***hole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes



    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC