Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 STW-Ok guys talk me out of it

What about the 6.5 SAUM?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 11-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
Well I don't have a 6.5STW but I do have a couple 6.5-300wm's and have shot a few animals with the first one I built. It took two elk at 100-125yds with 140gr Amax's doing 3225fps (RWS brass gives up about 100fps) and a deer at 1006yds with the same load. The first one has a 28" Sendero contour and the second one has a 26" Sendero contour (it's a cheap CM barrel I paid 50.00 for. The first groups with 123 Amax's was 1/3 MOA @ 100yds and 1/2MOA @ 300yds). In Nosler brass I get 3325ish for velocity with 140's using Retumbo. R-33 adds roughly another 80fps.

I chose the 6.5-300wm because brass is usually easier to find, it has plenty of HP, and it will fit in a standard 3.68" Remington mag box with the edge of the boattail at the bottom of the neck.

I have a 6.5STW reamer I bought before I did my first 6.5-300wm too.
Thanks. That's what originally got me thinking hard about it. I knew a couple of different guys who'd built wildcat 6.5's on the 300wm and 300wby formats and they were just amazing. I'd already bought my first 7mm STW before learning about the 6.5STW which is why I've now got 3 of them. Had I not, I'd have probably gone with the 6.5-300wm or 6.5STW originally.

I fell in love with a friend's .264wm and 6.5x55 as a kid and have had a fascination for the 6.5's my whole life as a result.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
What about the 6.5 SAUM?
Shh, I'm starting to think about one of those in the future as well based on what I've read about them so far. Either that or the 6.5wsm. the 6.5wsm is really pretty similar to the 6.5Rem Mag in many ways and I'm thinking very hard about getting one of those for the wife IF and it's a big IF, I could for sure find at least 200rds of good 6.5Rem brass. It's harder to come by than hen's teeth.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Two guys at work recently sent there GAP rifles back to GAP for this conversion! I wish I would have seen this before my build! Only downside for me would be brass prep/steps. Caliber's We Load : Copper Creek Cartridge Co.. Copper Creek loads for the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 (4S). Two names for it!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Two guys at work recently sent there GAP rifles back to GAP for this conversion! I wish I would have seen this before my build! Only downside for me would be brass prep/steps. Caliber's We Load : Copper Creek Cartridge Co.. Copper Creek loads for the 6.5 SAUM or 6.5 (4S). Two names for it!
Yep, it looks like it's going to be a very popular wildcat and would not be at all surprised if it get's standardized and SAAMI approved sooner rather than later.

The short magnums have been sorely lacking a 6.5 for too long and with the popularity of the short magnums in general it's really a no brainer.

If this does start gaining ground though you can bet Winchester will jump in hard and fast with their own standardized 6.5wsm.

I have one of my 7stw's that shoots the factory nosler ammo so well I'll just keep buying and feeding it with that and I'll never run out of good brass as a result so other than possibly the need to do some neck turning brass prep won't be a problem.

There used to be a custom brass maker out there that would make and custom stamp brass for you but I can't remember who it was. It was good brass as I remember though. If I get the 6.5 and can find them again maybe I'll get them to run me a couple of hundred for me and head stamp them "6.5STW.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Yes, it will shoot the 6.5mm bullets much more accurately than the 7mm STW's will
Best answer I've heard yet! LOL

I can't imagine getting real good groups with the 6.5 140's out of your 7mmSTW...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Best answer I've heard yet! LOL

I can't imagine getting real good groups with the 6.5 140's out of your 7mmSTW...
Well that's what I keep telling the wife... .