Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

6.5 RUM

I was wondering if anyone has any info. on the 6.5 RUM? I think Allen has a 6.5 that might also be close to the RUM, and that data might work. Maybe fiftydriver could help. Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 RUM

Yeah I got some info, Barrel makers love em
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I got some info, Barrel makers love em

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

LTHunt, I believe Kirbys 6.5 AX is a 300 Dakota case necked to 6.5 and with less taper and 40* shoulder. It probably has about 20grs less capacity than the RUM case and most likely a lot better barrel life than a 6.5 RUM. ( please correct me if I got it wrong Kirby)--7mmRHB
Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

LTHunt,

I have two 6.5mm magnums in the herd. As mentioned the 6.5mm AX is based on the 300 Dakota case, necked down, shoulder sharpened, not quite to 40 degree angle and body taper reduced. This round will get you 3750 fps with a 100 gr pill, 3500 fps with a 120 gr and 3300 fps with a 140 gr class bullet all in a 26" barrel length.

My other round is the 6.5mm Allen Magnum which is a 338 RUM necked down, sharpened shoulder angle and body taper reduced. The capacity of my 6.5mm AM is actually a couple grains larger then the standard 6.5mm RUM based on the longer 7mm RUM case.

Performance numbers are 4100 fps with a 100 gr pill, +3800 fps with a 120 gr, +3550 fps with a 140 gr pill and 3300 fps with a 160 class bullet all in a 30" pipe.

Any round with this size of case capacity and this small of a bore diameter can be seriously effected by powder bridging. For this reason I recommend only ball powders be used in my two rounds.

As mentioned barrel life will be limited which is also why I recommend my chamberings only for big game hunting rifles where high volume shooting is not common or at least should not be common!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For that purpose, useful barrel life will be for many, many seasons!! For some shooters a lifetime.

I would like to say that if you get into a round of this extreme range, be prepared for some issues that will need to be delt with. There is a cost for extreme performance and being an exprienced handloader is a must and paying very close attention to what is happening with load development is also a MUST.

Things can go from normal to dangerous very fast as you climb the performance scale. They work great if you pay attention but will bite you if you do not!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 04-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Kirby does Wildcat bullets make a line for the 6.5mm?
I was thining about a 6.5-300win. 28-30 barrel for shooting the 14class bullets. My only bump is that I haven't seen to may match style bullet fly to well past 3000+fps.

Sorry to but in on sombodies post , But I was wondering is the velocity differance between say the RUM cased 6.5 and say the larger belted mags realy that much more if equal time and work is put into the loading and the barrel is in the 28" range
Old 04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Thanks fiftydriver, that is some very good information. Its good to hear from someone who knows everyone is not a match shooter and looks at a wildcat as a hunting round instead of a match round. I know its hard on barrels. But its fast and fun and to me thats what wildcating is about! I love reloading and hunting and thats what this round will be used for. with no more that 10 to 15 shots a year it will last long enough for me. Thanks again for your expert advise! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]