Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 Rem Mag or 264 Win Mag???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 Rem Mag or 264 Win Mag???

No Brainer for me. I am a .264 Win Mag Man & I have now moved over to Nosler Brass which is excellent. I am still shooting a factory barrel with a little over 600+ rounds down range still going strong, I hope some day to shoot it out then I will move up to a # 4 contour barrel with a length of 26. One can always load down & reduce ones velocity but MAX is MAX in any round. I hope you do get to shoot it out, I would bet you like most of us and shoot a variety of rifles & one does not get all the shooting.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Having worked with these cartridges over the years, and a big fan of the 6.5, I have found the 6.5-284 to be a good balance of velocity, accuracy, barrel life, as well as the easy availability of quality brass. Contrary to the conventional wisdom, the 6.5 -284 is at least equal or better than the magnums as far as barrel life is concerned, shooting conditions being equal. The case design seems to be excellent for achieving very low ES. I get 3025FPS out of both my rifles, 24-26" barrels with near 100% case usage. This velocity seems to be at the high end of the 140 VLD's sweet spot. I can easily get 10 reloadings out of Lapua brass. My intention is not to discourage the use of the magnums, both quality cartridges, but wanted to offer another viewpoint given the OP's stated criteria.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 12-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

I'm with you Greyfox if I was working with a standard bolt face I would be all over a 6.5-284. To tell the truth I like a lot of other people started out young with Magnum fever when I was young. Now about .264 Win Mag is as big as I like to shoot only going to my 300 H & H Mag for Bear Or Elk. I'm not a fan of recoil.