Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 mm Creedmoor 120 amax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Bronze Member

6.5 mm Creedmoor 120 amax

Has anyone shot whitetail deer with the factory hornady 120 gr amax loads. I was just curious about how the bullet itself would perform for hunting ?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 mm Creedmoor 120 amax

AMax is a very fragile and frangible bullet...I've been reading ALOT of folks having bad results when shooting medium to large game with them...Especially at high velocities.

I wouldn't use them or the Hornady SST's on deer...I had a bad personal experience with the 139 SST's on whitetails traveling pretty fast out of a 7mm RM, and never used them on deer again. I swapped to Barnes TSX's after that and never had anymore problems.

When pushing the 139 SST's at a slower velocity (shooting my 7mm-08) they worked just fine, which is why I tried them in my 7mm RM....But that extra velocity made them almost disintegrate on impact.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

I have shot deer with the 140 a-max out of a 6.5 Creedmoor and it the bullet is just what mudrunner said. They are to fragile. I have shot a couple deer and a 312 lb Black Bear with them but i dont recommend it. Im running 125 Nosler partitions right now and seem to shoot ok.... haven't had a chance to shoot a deer with them yet. Hoping to do that on Wednesday . But in short find a different bullet. The data for the load im using out of a t/c icon prescion hunter is 48.5 grains of Hogden Superformance with the 125 partition
Old 11-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

i havnt shot a deer with one yet, but i have some hand loads with the 120 A max loaded just under 3000 fps, Our deer season opens on saturday and thats what will be in the chamber, if all goes well and i get a shot at a deer ill try and take some good pictures.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member

I've shot about a dozen deer with the sst out of a 25-06. Only one took a step and it was a bad shot on my part.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkknupp View Post
I've shot about a dozen deer with the sst out of a 25-06. Only one took a step and it was a bad shot on my part.
Maybe I just got a bad batch of factory Hornady loads...But I'm not the only one who's had 7mm SST issues. Another guy in the STW section had some 162 SST's blow up like that on him, too. Must be something about the 7mm SST Hornady bullets...

Good luck either way, and I hope you don't have the same experiences with the AMax as I have read others having.

My buddy (and shooting partner) will be hunting with 178 AMaxs in his .300 WM this year, but I won't let him hunt on my property with them, I don't want wounded or maimed deer on my land. I only shoot Nosler, Barnes, or Berger bullets at animals. In the past, I have shot deer with Hornady TAP LE (red box) .308 Win 168 BTHP's and they were devastating on whitetails, even though they're designed for snipers and for match shooting, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

the amax is a killer have shot multiple deer with the 168 out of the 308 and the 140 out of the creedmoor. A little reading for the non amax crowd Hornady AMAX for hunting?

I would gun the 120 for thin skinned deer with not a second thought. Buddy shoots the 162's out of his 7 mag with boring results band dead