Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 ackley Wildcat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: 6.5 ackley Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconSniper View Post
Of The calibers suggested, which would be better for high volume varmint shooting?

~WS
If you want to use a 6.5 for high volume varmint shooting, you would be best served to back way off on case capacity to the 6.5x47, .260. 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5x55 to get longer barrel life.

Of these, the only one I own and have shot is the 6.5x55, but I have not used it for high volume shooting. I like it better than the 6.5-284 NORMA, which I also have. For an everyday cartridge, I think there is a lot to be said for the 6.5x55/.260/Creedmoor/6.5x47 class of cartridges.

If more performance is desired, my preference is to skip the 6.5-284 and proceed directly to cartridges in the .264 Win Mag class. Some folks will claim that the 6.5-284 is in that class. My experience with my rifles says they are all wet. If you step up from the 6.5x55, you have to be prepared to pay a significant price in barrel life. It costs more to go fast. That's just the way it is.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Of The calibers suggested, which would be better for high volume varmint shooting?

~WS
I don't do any high-volume varmint hunting. I do occasionally go coyote hunting. When I do, I take my .257 Wby Mag, but rarely get more than 1 shot a night.

However, if I had to guess, I'd say 6.5-47 or 6.5x55 would be ok for that type hunting. It shouldn't be too hard on the barrel, as long as you let it cool down for a minute or two between shots.

Bench mentioned it, but the 6.5 Creedmore completely skipped my mind. Awesome round, and you can use Lapua .308 Win brass for it. Just FL size them in your Creedmore die.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

With a 1/7 twist barrel. You could shoot really long bullets like the CEB,s and be well stabilized way out with the moderate velocity rounds like the Creed . 260 . 6.555 . 6.547. And they are easy shooting . Don't burn much powder and are reported to be easy on barrels.

I've got a Creedmoor and really like it.

With a standard action, standard bolt face your in business. Except the 55 .
Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I see. Thanks for the heads up. I havent looked at the 264WM and didnt know the ballistics where similar. How does the 257 Weatherby stack up against the 264WM?
Better selection and better BC bullets in the 6.5's.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

~WS
.260 Rem for high volume shooting. That's specifically why I built my LR-260 AR.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

Ok, so 260 seems to be a favored choice for long range, high volume precision shooting

~WS
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

The 260 Rem (or the 6.5x47) would be good choices for high volume shooting. The bullets you shoot through them are typically stabilized in an 8 twist. You will loose a little performance from them. How much is hard to say. I would consider selling the 7 twist and getting an 8 twist.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams