Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

6.5 ackley Wildcat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 6.5 ackley Wildcat

the barrel is a 1-7" twist. Dont bother be none that it move to STW haha What is everyones views on the accuracy of the 6.5x47 Lapua?

~WS
Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconSniper View Post
the barrel is a 1-7" twist. Dont bother be none that it move to STW haha What is everyones views on the accuracy of the 6.5x47 Lapua?

~WS
I think a 7" twist is a little tight for a 6.5x47. You want to be shooting some long heavy bullets out of that. I would recommend at least a 6.5-284 and maybe bigger.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

Are there other round that would perform better than the 6.5-284?

~WS
Old 09-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
A well set up 6.5x284 will not fit a short action very well, it works very nice on a long action though.

Congratulation though only took three pages before it turned into a 7 STW thread
Oh, my appologies if I hurt your feelings...Remind me before-hand next time so I won't mention it. Deal?

Now, look back and see who mentioned the letters STW first.... Certainly wasn't me. So, next time you wanna be a prick, do it to the right person...

And for the record, the OP asked me about the 7STW and brass a d other things via PM prior to and after my 2nd post in this thread. So, make sure you know what you're talking about before opening your mouth. ;)

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

~WS
6.5x47 Lapua is a great caliber. So is the 6.5-284.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Oh, my appologies if I hurt your feelings...Remind me before-hand next time so I won't mention it. Deal?
That was my bad for typing that out wrong. I was saying its doesn't bother me that the thread went to the STW. I'm totally open to caliber suggestions. So any caliber you think would be better, let er rip. My bad for the miss-type

~WS
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are there other round that would perform better than the 6.5-284?

~WS
Do you mean accuracy or velocity?

Accuracy is going to depend mostly on the quality of rifle components and and smithing. As I mentioned earlier, the larger magnum calibers are a little more susceptible to barrel harmonics but with good components and smithing they can be made to shoot very well. Your BR competuiton guys are going to usually shoot the smaller 6's and and 6.5's for 1's and 2's groups but they are going to have slower twists.

If I had a 7 twist barrel I would probably chamber it in a 6.5 Dakota. That said, a 6.5 WSM or or 264 WM would work fine but they are going to be a little tough on the barrel. Never the less guys do chamber in those. If you take good care of the barrel it should last over a 1000 rounds.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams