Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

6.5 284 pressure question

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartsel, CO
Posts: 132
6.5 284 pressure question

Alright, I've just finished my build, Savage 110, stockade prairie dog special, criterion 26 in prefit 1-8 twist, sss recoil lug, tally 20 moa base, still waitin for my viper pst. Load is 140 amax seated .05 off lands nosler custom brass, win lg rifle primer. Powder in my test loads is anywhere from 47-53 grains. at 53 im expiriencing slight pressure signs (slightly cratered primers). 53 gr of h4831sc shoots best around .75 moa. some guys are talking about jamming the bullet up to .1 into lands. will this increase pressures? I only ask because I'm thinking about trying it to see if I'll get better results. Anyone think this is dangerous. I know the 53grains is above any published data for max loads already. any input would be helpful. BTW im pretty new to the long range game

Thanks for the input.

Shooter7
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,140
Re: 6.5 284 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter7 View Post
Alright, I've just finished my build, Savage 110, stockade prairie dog special, criterion 26 in prefit 1-8 twist, sss recoil lug, tally 20 moa base, still waitin for my viper pst. Load is 140 amax seated .05 off lands nosler custom brass, win lg rifle primer. Powder in my test loads is anywhere from 47-53 grains. at 53 im expiriencing slight pressure signs (slightly cratered primers). 53 gr of h4831sc shoots best around .75 moa. some guys are talking about jamming the bullet up to .1 into lands. will this increase pressures? I only ask because I'm thinking about trying it to see if I'll get better results. Anyone think this is dangerous. I know the 53grains is above any published data for max loads already. any input would be helpful. BTW im pretty new to the long range game

Thanks for the input.

Shooter7
Yes it will certainly increase pressure. The closer you seat a bullet to the lans the less gas escapes before it seals the grooves.

If you plan to do that you need to back off the charge a little and then work back up.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartsel, CO
Posts: 132
Re: 6.5 284 question

Thanks for lettin me know
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,416
Re: 6.5 284 pressure question

I have done a lot of work with 4831sc in my Savage and Cooper. 53gr appears to be at the high end for both rifles. At, or in the lands, I get pressure signs. I found the best accuracy and ES .025-.075 out of the lands with Berger 140VLD's and 142 SMK's which showed no pressure signs. The same effect occurs with Retumbo with 59 gr. Retumbo will produce 60-80 FPS more velocity with comparable accuracy and ES, 3020 FPS with the most recently purchased lots. 2950 with H4831sc with consistent lot to lot consistency.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 394
Re: 6.5 284 pressure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I have done a lot of work with 4831sc in my Savage and Cooper. 53gr appears to be at the high end for both rifles. At, or in the lands, I get pressure signs. I found the best accuracy and ES .025-.075 out of the lands with Berger 140VLD's and 142 SMK's which showed no pressure signs. The same effect occurs with Retumbo with 59 gr. Retumbo will produce 60-80 FPS more velocity with comparable accuracy and ES, 3020 FPS with the most recently purchased lots. 2950 with H4831sc with consistent lot to lot consistency.
With the 6.5x284 isn't 2950 as fast as you want to go anyway? That seems to be where most of the accuracy nodes are for the benchrest guys. Sure you could push it faster, but there's not enough extra beans available to get to the next accuracy node, so it's pointless...???

Now if Paul at Wildcat Bullets would mass produce that 150+ grainer, getting that up to 29xx+ would be the ticket!
__________________
Laus Deo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,416
Re: 6.5 284 pressure question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
With the 6.5x284 isn't 2950 as fast as you want to go anyway? That seems to be where most of the accuracy nodes are for the benchrest guys. Sure you could push it faster, but there's not enough extra beans available to get to the next accuracy node, so it's pointless...???

Now if Paul at Wildcat Bullets would mass produce that 150+ grainer, getting that up to 29xx+ would be the ticket!
I don't believe there are any rules for optimum velocity with the 6.5 x284. If I can get an extra 70 FPS and still get good accuracy and ES, I'll take it. I'm hunting, not shooting benchrest. I'm after .25-.5 MOA.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-17-2012, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,149
Re: 6.5 284 pressure question

I am getting the same accuracy at 3070 that I was at 2960, like Greyfox said if its a hunting rifle and can get 15fps or less ES and accuracy is good there is no need to slow them down. I run my light gun at 3020 with lapua scenars, I was running them at 3130 but it was to hard on cases and had a little to much vertical (30" barrel btw).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 6.5 284 pressure question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Signs of Pressure vs COAL Question Shooter Fred Reloading 22 09-09-2011 10:32 AM
Pressure question? Casey Napier Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 08-16-2008 09:54 PM
Pressure question on max charge? elmerdeer Reloading 1 05-01-2007 09:27 AM
Belted Mag Pressure Indication Question royinidaho The Basics, Starting Out 5 06-25-2005 09:54 AM
pressure question Long Range Hunting & Shooting 2 01-12-2003 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC