Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

56 and counting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2002, 07:58 AM

56 and counting

So far this season my hunting buddy (Dave7mm) and myself have managed to send 56 woodchucks to see their maker [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Although none of the kills this season have been real long shots it is still fun and good practice. My best kill this season is a mere 560 yards.

We had a real funny one a few days ago. This little and I do mean little "chuck" stuck his head (only) out of his hole. By the time I got on him, down he went. He was real close, only about 175 yards. Sometime later he stuck his head out again and stood their motionless. This time I had enough time to get on him. I placed the dot in his left ear and squeezed the trigger. He disappeared imediately. After killing several others that evening we walked the bean feild to check out the kills. When we walked up to this hole he was laying down in his hole. The 52gr berger bullet went right in his left ear. About 75% of his right side of his head was gone. The funny part was that his 2 top teeth were laying on the ground about a foot from the rest of him. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It wasn't a long shot for sure but it was fun.

Have a good one all,

Don [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2002, 08:19 AM
PUBLISHER

Re: 56 and counting

The title of your post caught my eye. I thought, "Oh there's another guy who turned 50 this year". But no, just an interesting story about hunting!

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-26-2002, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Shaky,I am tring to get with you guy's to get a few.....Been real busy....Don't shoot them all before I get up there [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2002, 07:19 PM

Len,

I recently had another birthday but is wasn't 56,,,,thank gawd, lol.

It is getting closer everyday though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Have a good one,

Old 06-29-2002, 07:23 PM

Boyd,

Happy to see your busy,,,,so many people aren't.

The bean plants are up about 4" now. I figure another week, maybe 2 and they will be to high to see anymore chucks. Then we have to resort back to cut hay fields.

The count is now 58.

As far as killing them all,,, I doubt thats possible, but it IS fun trying.

Let me know what days/times your available. We look forward to hunting with you.

Old 07-07-2002, 04:35 PM

Boyd,

The latest count (as of last Saturday) stands at 71 dead chucks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

By the end of this week hunting in local bean fields will be next to impossible since by then the bean plants will be to high to see the little runts, lol.

Have a good one,

Old 07-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Took out 8 groundhogs yesterday. 7 of the 8 were heading into the bean fields but were interupted by a Ballistic Tip. 221 Fireball made short work of them all.
VH [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]