Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.510 Allen Mag @ 1,000 y.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .510 Allen Mag @ 1,000 y.

Boy that thing has a heck of a recoil to it. I think I would want a more effective break on it. Cool rifle thought.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dr. Vette,

Not sure why the fact the video was from 8 months ago makes any difference, its the same rifle the was posted about. Do not believe anyone said it was video from this shooting session, just that there was video of shooting the 510 Allen Magnum, pretty accurate discription of the video to me......

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Kirby,
Whats the difference between your 510AM and the 50BMG?

Tank
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Liltank,

The ONLY muzzle brake that is more effective then my 5 port is the factory armalite muzzle brake that comes on the factory rifle. Unfortunately, because of the muzzle diameter of the barrel on that rifle, it would not allow the factory brake to be used.

There is simply no way to eliminate a 50 cal weapons recoil, that said, recoil is nothing like a conventional rifle. While it may appear severe, it really is not in any way. The big 50s just MOVE alot. By that I mean, they will slide rearward 5-7" on each shot, much more then a conventional rifle. Recoil velocity is quite slow however so its a slow push in the shoulder.

The problem is that since these rifles move back so much under fire is that you have to shoot them differently then a conventional rifle, especially from a bench. You have to keep your neck tightened up because if you shoot one of these rifles totally relaxed, the rifle will come back enough that with a relaxed neck and shoulders, you will become intimate with the scope!!!

Also, you have to keep your hands and other things out of harms way. Position your hand in the wrong place and get it hit by the bipod mount or pistol grip and the 30 to 35 lb rifles movement under recoil will remind you pretty quickly that your hand was in the wrong location.

Back to recoil. when you set a 30-35 lb rifle into motion with this kind of energy, there is only so much ANY muzzle brake can do to slow the rearward movement of the rifle down. Basically, thats they will do, slow the rifle down a bit. The heavier the rifle, the more it will move you under recoil simply because the rifle has more momentum and also because the heavier rifle is harder for the muzzle brake to slow down.

My sporter weight versions of this same rifle use a Lilja Navy contour sporter barrel, similiar to the factory barrel contour but I then have them fluted with Dans heavy 50 cal flutes which drops weight significantly so you get a rifle that is several pounds lighter then even the factory rifle. With these I can reuse the factory armalite muzzle brake which again is THE best 50 cal brake on the market hands down. felt recoil with the sporter version of the 510 AM feels sharper then the heavy rifles because recoil velocity is higher but its a lighter push because the muzzle brake slows the rifle more effectively. Not sure if that makes sense or not.

Heavy 50 cal rifles will move you alot but its a push. Lighter 50 cal rifles (with the best brakes) will slap you a bit sharper but move you less. Same as any conventional rifle, just scaled up for the 50 cals.

This rifle is also loaded to pretty mild levels, obviously because the rifle likes this load. At 2700 fps with the 750 gr A-Max, this is a very mild load in the 510 Allen Magnum but obviously an extremely accurate load as well.

In my personal Sporter 510 AM, my load produces 2960 fps with the same bullet and out of a barrel that is three inches shorter then this rifle so it shows the potential of the round for performance. These higher pressure loads also make a muzzle brake work more effectively, especially out of the lighter rifles because they have a dramatically higher muzzle gas pressure which is what makes the muzzle brakes work better. The larger the gas volume, the higher the gas pressure, the better the muzzle brakes work.

In a heavy rifle however, these heavy loads induce more energy into the rifle so they have more momentum and they are even harder to slow down with the muzzle brake. Again, nothing severe but more movement then with a lighter rifle.

Simply put, you would be very hard pressed to find a more effective muzzle brake then the one that is on this rifle unless you used the factory Armalite brake and as mentioned that was not an option with this large muzzle diameter.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

That is funny because my initial thoughts on watching the video were ,first ,that guy( the shooter) is not very big. What is the recoil going to do to him? Then, after the shot, my first thought was that there wasn't that much recoil and no muzzle jump at all! granted it isn't a22-250 but from the video it looked quite shootable! Good work Kirby !
Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lil Tank,

The 510 Allen Magnum is nothing more then the 50 BMG improved to my Allen Magnum shoulder and body taper design. You get roughly 15% increase in usible powder capacity over the 50 BMG but you also get a much better case design which dramatically limits case stretching which can be an issue with upper end loads in the standard 50 BMG.

Standard 50 BMG loads will get you around 2600 to 2650 fps with the 750 gr A-Max. That said, many BR match shooters will load this bullet to the 2550 to 2600 fps range.

The 510 AMs will start at around 2700 fps and go up from there. The fastest I have driven the 750 gr A-Max was 3050 fps out of a rebuilt AR-50 that the customer had me fit a 45", 1.750" straight cylinder Lilja to. That was a 60 lb rifle and recoil was extremly mild with my 5 port brake. That is an exception however and generally velocities max out in the 2950 fps range with a 30-32" barrel length with proper pressures for the 50 BMG parent case.

I am currently working on a new 50 cal wildcat called the 510 Maximus. Still based on the 50 BMG case but I shorten the case neck down DRAMATICALLY but leave the overall case length the same. This increased the case body length by around 0.400". With a case the size of the 50 BMG, this will add another 15 to 20% powder capacity over even the 510 Allen Magnum!!! I also increased body taper slightly so that it can be loaded to slightly higher chamber pressures with good extraction properties. My goal is to see 3100 fps in a standard 30-32" barrel length!!! Time will tell. I have the reamers in stock and test barrel, just waiting for the loading dies to arrive for testing.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

For the Maximus, you might want to stand back before yanking the trigger on that beast. That just sounds like a world of hurt. What is the load data look like on these beasts? Will the H50BMG be slow enough to make that case capacity work properly without being dangerously over pressured? What other powders do you use for these dragons? You sparked an interest and curious as to how this all works out!

Tank