Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

4ked Horns first bear.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 4ked Horns first bear.

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't get the tickles that it sounds like you got from shooting a bear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shooting a bear is more of a mental accomplishmet for me than a physical one. In my discussions with Ian and my neighbor I expressed that If I was told to go hunt a deer or an elk or a coyote or most other animals I would grab my gun and go hunt. But for some reason I had some weird apprehension about hunting a bear. Maybe its because I only seem to hear stories about bears like Ians that are charging when they are shot. I wanted to be VERY prepared and know precicely what I was shooting for and how to go about it correctly. It is actually a good thing that I missed the shoulder and the scapula and the spine. It certainly lets me know that a bear will anchor in short order with less than a "perfect" hit. One of the more noteable memories is that I felt no more fear when I saw the bear than I feel when encountering a coyote or a deer. I knew that I was undetected and I was able to focus more on getting a good shot. I was expecting things to be at least a little bit more intense.

If I had even seen a bear at 15 yards or had an experience like Ian my skull would have exploded. I'm sure that after I get a few bears like you and some of the others here I will have developed a better understanding of actual bear behavior than what I have read in books and magazines and the auora of "THE BEAR" will subside. As for now that first bear has me very very excited and I can feel my pulse elevate every time I talk or write about it.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Well savor the flavor of the first one because that is as good as it gets! I hope you never loose the rush you get from taking one of them suckers. My best wishes to eating that bear, and hopefully many MANY more to come.

P.S. If you come across any GOOD recipies for bear feel free to send em to me! I don't have any good ones as of yet. I just can't get over the gamey stringeyness of em. But breakfast sausage is ALWAYS a good alternative for bear meat.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:19 PM

4kedhorn, congrats on a nice bear. It great to take your "first" anything. Its like losing your virginity...again and again.

Might even be better!

I remember my first deer (anterless whitetail yearling), my first fall turkey (nice 15-16 pounder), and my first spring turkey (Jake).

The feeling was amazing when I shot that little whitetail. Could have been a 14 pointer the way I felt.

But I'll tell you, spring turkey is like the first time every time.

They say that people try drugs and become hooked because they are always trying to re-capture the initial high. That is why I advocate getting youth involved with the outdoors. Get'em hooked on hunting & fishing. Let the thrill of shotting that buck, or tom, boar, bull, or whatever be the high they feel.

The other thing that makes hunts great is great hunting buddies!!! Sharing the moments makes them so much more memorable.

Congrats again!
Old 06-17-2005, 09:20 PM

4ked, awesome bear! Congratulations, it'll be great having that skull and rug around the house. Skulls are fascinating, and a big bear is about as cool as it gets!

I haven't been by in a while, fun to catch up a bit by seeing a nice success story by the 4ked at LRH

Cheers,

Nt
Old 06-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Nontypical. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but the DSL connection was giving us a fit. No Email or LRH for 3 days.

I will post pictures of the huge teeth and the finished skull when I get it done so keep an eye on this thread.