Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

458WM at long range.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

458WM at long range.

I own a Delux, 1970's era 458WM CZ and was playing with the idea of shooting the thing at Long range just for fun. It is quite an accurate rifle for a big boomer.

Anyone done any shooting of the .458WM at long range? I would be interested to know what would be the best bullet to try and any other load data.

I have shot various bullets through the rifle from 510 grains down to 350 grains, as well as some 405grain cast bullets. Most shoot very well if I can hang onto the thing.

I have shot a number of deer etc with this rifle and it does put a nice hole in things.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 458WM at long range.

I think you biggest problem is getting a good BC bullet. Not sure what is out there, but I know I have looked in the past and there wasn't much.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-20-2009, 03:55 AM

I have a Rem 700 Safari in .458WM.
best accuracy with:
Barnes TSX 350grs
77grs H335
COL: 3.307
Fed215GM Primers
Winchester brass
Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post

Anyone done any shooting of the .458WM at long range? I would be interested to know what would be the best bullet to try and any other load data.
Sounds like an interesting project. Kind of like something I would do.

I think the first thing is to define long range. I spend a long an enjoyable day shooting 22 LR at 500 yards. If a 22 will get there so will the 458.

The process will be the same. Gravity is pretty much constant with the wind being the challenge.

An accurate drop chart along with an accurate LRF I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, I've watched the buffalo gunners shoot 500 meters with peep sights and do most probably better than most LRH fellas could do. At least I was intimidated.

Shot placement may be a bit different as the trajectory may be pretty steep as entered the spine and exited the brisket.

I"d even consider a decent cast bullet for the purpose.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

I looked at different bullet manufacturers, and Barnes offer the best bullets for what you are trying to do. Just my .02 worth.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
An accurate drop chart along with an accurate LRF I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, I've watched the buffalo gunners shoot 500 meters with peep sights and do most probably better than most LRH fellas could do. At least I was intimidated.

Shot placement may be a bit different as the trajectory may be pretty steep as entered the spine and exited the brisket.

I"d even consider a decent cast bullet for the purpose.
Wow Royinidaho, Now you have me thinking!

I have a new Swarvoski Laser Guide, a bunch of Woodleigh 500 grain solids that I would like to use up, (Not too many Elephants in my garden) and a Lyman mould for 405 grain cast bullets that shoot well. I also have a few loaded rounds with 350 grain Hornady's. I can run some numbers through Exbal and see what I am up against.

The trajectory is going to be steep so I will have to work within the adjustment range of my scope or get a rail made up with at least a 40 MOA cant?

The 500 grain solids will put a 45 calibre hole through anything and 405 grain
soft cast pills would be like hitting something with a 12 ga shotgun solid, so I dont think stopping power would be an issue?

Im going out for some long range field practice today so I will take the .458 out with me. I will let you know how it goes!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
I own a Delux, 1970's era 458WM CZ and was playing with the idea of shooting the thing at Long range just for fun. It is quite an accurate rifle for a big boomer.

I have shot various bullets through the rifle from 510 grains down to 350 grains, as well as some 405grain cast bullets. Most shoot very well if I can hang onto the thing.

I have shot a number of deer etc with this rifle and it does put a nice hole in things.
Try a web search on the Sandy Hook tests of 1879.
You will find that they tested a trapdoor Springfield 45-70 at TWO miles with accuracy and terminal performance.
Your 458 win mag sounds like a fun experiment, you ought to post your results.