Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

350 yds - Varmint Boar Hog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 PM
SPONSOR

Re: 350 yds - Varmint Boar Hog

[ QUOTE ]
mike maybe you can come down and teach these hogs down here to come out and play during daylight hours

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. Seems these around here won't be seen in the open when it's daylight.

Mike,
The smaller ones are harder to hit and better eatin' anyway!!
Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mike maybe you can come down and teach these hogs down here to come out and play during daylight hours

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that. Seems these around here won't be seen in the open when it's daylight.
Mike,
The smaller ones are harder to hit and better eatin' anyway!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, I get pretty excited when I catch them out like that. Probably as much as if it were a trophy deer. As for the eats, just about anything that don't have that funk will eat good in my book, big or small. Just if ya got to clean one, I would rather make it count. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For the most part, around that area, they do this when the moon gets up around 4:30 - 5:30 in the afternoon, and generally always after the wind has been howling for a couple of days then dies off.

They hate the wind more than the whitetails, and will lay low till they feel comfortable. Then they head out to fill their gullet. When it is windy that is the time to hit the woods on foot and get up close and personal. I got one year before last that I crawled up to within about 10' of the pack which was holed up in a cane break. I could only see a small part of one big one and had to use my bino's to se the direction of the hair so I knew which end was which. A couple days before, I had seen one head into the cane that should have gone well over 400# and I wanted to make sure that if this was it, I anchored it then and there. Turned out to be a sow a little over 180# but she made for some fine eatin. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Gimme a holler sometime, I will see if I can make it down an try to teach them something. THey seem to learn new tricks pretty quickly.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

did some work for a farmer today got to talking about hunting told me that the hogs do alot of damage to his crops hes going to call me when he starts having trouble and i can shoot all i want good thing is that its right outside town so i can run out after work