Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338rum factory gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 09:56 AM

338rum factory gun?

Been toying with getting a 338 rum to play with. How limited am I going to be with bullet choices using a factory gun getting the longer bullets close enough to the sweet spot? I'd like to shoot the higher bc bullets. Might I be better off to find a decent used and rebarrel? Probably only ping steel for a couple years but might use it to hunt at long range if I can shoot it accurate enough. I've got a 7mm that shots good but I can't get the bullet any closer than. 07 because of the mag. Guessing I might have the same problem with any gun. Maybe not?
Thanks
Kris

Old 02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338rum factory gun?

I bought a factory Rem LSS in 338 rum and installed a timney trigger. It shoots 225 Barnes TTSX great. Oh and it has a Vais brake on it. If you want to shoot the Heavy bullets just install a Wyatts box and your good.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338rum factory gun?

If you purchase a rem 700 it is as simple as installing a 4" wyatt's box mag as I did with my recent build . A gunsmith should to this for $50 or so , I did mine with a Dremel tool and a tungsten carbide bit . My OAL for my handloads with a 300 gr. Berger elitehunter is 3.910 . Buy not seating the bullit so deep it allows me to load 92gr. of powder and not be compressed!