Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

.338 RUM Sendero

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 66
.338 RUM Sendero

I have a remington sendero in .338Rum. I am going to start reloading. I just bought the dies, RCBS press etc. I am trying to select a bullet. Cabela's has three bullets to choose from

.338 Caliber 215grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 In Stock

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 Backorderable

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 HPBT MatchKing Regular Price: $34.99

Which do most recommend for 1000 yard shooting and what does SBT stand for? I am wanting to hunt with this set up but also be able to reach out to 1000 yards or so.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,542
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilva43 View Post
I have a remington sendero in .338Rum. I am going to start reloading. I just bought the dies, RCBS press etc. I am trying to select a bullet. Cabela's has three bullets to choose from

.338 Caliber 215grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 In Stock

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 SBT GameKing Regular Price: $25.99 Backorderable

.338 Caliber 250grain .338 50 HPBT MatchKing Regular Price: $34.99

Which do most recommend for 1000 yard shooting and what does SBT stand for? I am wanting to hunt with this set up but also be able to reach out to 1000 yards or so.

The SBT stands for Spitzer Boat tail And are normally used for hunting.

The HPBT is a match bullet and more suitable for targets. Of the three It would be the best
for what you want.

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 66
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The SBT stands for Spitzer Boat tail And are normally used for hunting.

The HPBT is a match bullet and more suitable for targets. Of the three It would be the best
for what you want.

J E CUSTOM
IT is a hollow point bullet? It would be well suited for taking Elk past 800 yards?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,615
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

Look at the 225 grain nosler accubond or the 225 grain cutting edge with the .64 bc. That is what I use out of my 338 RUM.
__________________
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,542
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Look at the 225 grain nosler accubond or the 225 grain cutting edge with the .64 bc. That is what I use out of my 338 RUM.

+1

The 225 and 250gr Accubonds are my favorite bullets for Elk at extended distance.

In my opinion, dont use any match bullets for hunting because of unpredictable wound
channels. Lots of the guys on this site like the 300 gr SMK because of its accuracy
and dont worry about the terminal inconsistent performance. So you have to decide
which one.

My 338 rum using 250 grain Accubonds has the accuracy and energy past 1100 yards
for Elk size game.

Just another opinion

J E CUSTOM
__________________
"PRESS ON"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,615
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

JECustom is right on. The accubond is a premium hunting bullet that has the power to kill elk within the best effective range of this cartridge and out to 1100 yards. Why load it up with a target bullet that can shoot further but well beyond where you are going to be killing stuff with it. The last big bull elk I shot at with my remington 338 RUM was with the Accubond at between 700-800 yards. He tasted really good.
__________________
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 66
Re: .338 RUM Sendero

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+1

The 225 and 250gr Accubonds are my favorite bullets for Elk at extended distance.

In my opinion, dont use any match bullets for hunting because of unpredictable wound
channels. Lots of the guys on this site like the 300 gr SMK because of its accuracy
and dont worry about the terminal inconsistent performance. So you have to decide
which one.

My 338 rum using 250 grain Accubonds has the accuracy and energy past 1100 yards
for Elk size game.

Just another opinion

J E CUSTOM
where do you order your bullets? What kind of pouder do you use? Load? Primer?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: .338 RUM Sendero
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between Sendero and Sendero II Crop Damage Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 0 04-17-2011 06:54 AM
Sendero II or PSS bsaoneshot Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 9 12-31-2009 08:48 PM
Rem sendero 22-250 darrindlh Guns For Sale 11 12-19-2009 02:25 PM
WTB a 25/06 Rem Sendero pistol Guns For Sale 1 08-24-2009 07:40 PM
Sendero II ol mike General Discussion 3 06-14-2006 09:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC