Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Raptor field test results, so far......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 338 Raptor field test results, so far......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Kirby,

You've been off the net for a while.....I figured you would be out after that antelope and other hunting adventures. Nice to see another great buck taken from your part of the state. They are few these days.

Great write-up on the new Raptor and congratulations on some really nice animals!!!!! I would love to shoot the Raptor if afforded the chance.
Used to be a low to mid 80" pronghorn was a realistic goal every year. For the past 5-6 years, they just have not been all that many around. Not sure why but I think they are just putting out to many permits. 75 either sex and 75 doe fawn tags in one unit the size of the one we hunt is just to many for the numbers in the unit. Unfortuantely, it takes a major die off to get the attention of the MT FWP to actually do their job and MANAGE game numbers proactively. By then its often on the late side.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
Thanks for a great write up Kirby

Man they are big animals compared to what I'm used to.
Don't your free range stags get about this same size?

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Kirby, I'm jealous! That's 2 animals I've always wanted to hunt! And those are monsters!

Congrats on the kills, and it's good to hear the Raptor has tasted first blood.
The Raptors have been a long time coming. It has been a bit frustrating for sure so its good to at least get the 338 Raptor out in the field to stretch its legs a bit. Need to get on the 300 Raptor and see what it will do.

As far as the critters, the Aoudads are pretty easy to come by and if you do your homework, can be some of the most challenging big game critters you will ever hunt. Well worth the effort. On a good ranch they make whitetails look calm. Long Range Hunting is by far the best way to hunt them.

Stags are a bit harder to come by, at least at an affordable price, some ranches are VERY proud of their stags and charge HUGE amounts to hunt them.

Thanks for your kind words.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
great job and nice write up and photos.What a great trip
Thanks for taking the time to read the post. It was a good trip for sure.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Don't your free range stags get about this same size?
In some parts of the country yes they can get heads that big.

Not around here though

We do get big bodied ones just not the heads, unless they have escapee blood in them.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
The Raptors have been a long time coming. It has been a bit frustrating for sure so its good to at least get the 338 Raptor out in the field to stretch its legs a bit. Need to get on the 300 Raptor and see what it will do.

As far as the critters, the Aoudads are pretty easy to come by and if you do your homework, can be some of the most challenging big game critters you will ever hunt. Well worth the effort. On a good ranch they make whitetails look calm. Long Range Hunting is by far the best way to hunt them.

Stags are a bit harder to come by, at least at an affordable price, some ranches are VERY proud of their stags and charge HUGE amounts to hunt them.

Thanks for your kind words.
Yeah, looking back I wasn't very specific, but you hit the nail on the head, I was definitely talking about the Aoudad and the Red Stag.

I've always thought he Red Stags were cool looking, and I can imagine a hunt for one that size would certainly not be cheap. The Aoudad, as well.

I am interested in this .300 Raptor...As you know, we don't have much of a need for anything over .30 caliber down here, so the .300 Raptor might be right up my alley. Will it require a custom action, or can you remove some material from a 700 action for a 4.00" Wyatt's mag box and make it work? You have now officially piqued my curiousity.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Nice shooting Kirby! What is the OAL of the Raptor series. Looking at pics I don't think a rifle that long would fit in my gun cabinet. Very nice rifle.