Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: .338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

Thank you Michael. Your reply makes me feel even more confident in my decision. I appreciate everyone's comments. -- Don

Psalms 27:1
Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

I met a guy in the local gunshop who regularely uses his 375 H&H on NY whitetails. With that in mind, you may very well be under-gunned! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

VH
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Just Learniní:

Take what Michael says very seriously. Mountain goats are very hard to kill, especially instantly. Iíve seen them soak up a perfect hit from 300 mags and not even flinch.

If they are anywhere near cliffs or drop offs you need to anchor them as quickly as possible. If you donít anchor him as quickly as possible he will head for the rough stuff and those pointed little horns do break very easily.

The 338 Lapua is a good choice and will not be too much for the goats. Itíll do the job and buck the mountain winds if needed. Just get your hands on it as soon as you can and shoot it at all ranges and get very familiar with it so when the time comes, no matter what the shot, you will be ready.

Good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Gold Member

how much is the rifle expected to weigh ? any muzzle brake ?

good luck on your hunt.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Bronze Member

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I just emailed Dakota to ask them and will post next week when I get back from out-of-town.

I had originally ordered a .338 lapua on a Dakota 76 African action, 28" #5 lilja barrel w/muzzlebrake, Nightforce 5.5-22 X 50, and a MPI Dakota Classic stock. That one will be pushing the Idaho rifle weight limits. I recently was made aware that Dakota is running behind in production (left-hand action) and would likely not have it completed in time for the November hunt, let alone sufficient time to get in any practice. They were kind enough to propose the Nesika action remedy listed above as a temporary measure. They would then proceed with the original order and at the end of the year I get to decide which rifle I want. That'll be a tough one! The Nesika rifle will have a Mcmillan stock, 28" #4 Pac Nor barrel (I think?), NF scope, and muzzlebrake.

Anticipated delivery date on the Nesika is 9/15 and 11/1 the Dakota. Sorry for the long reply but I wanted to be able to explain better. What do you think the Nesika would roughly weigh in, as described above?

Thanks again to everyone for their help and interest. -- Don

Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

I bought an action from Nesika for a 338LM I'm having built.
Its the model "M" which I'm sure will be what your rifle has if its the 338LM chambering.The action for mine weighs in at 2.6 lbs (1.470" Dia.,single shot configuration).
Being as yours will probably be set up as a repeater it probably wont be that heavy.The Nightforce scopes are pretty heavy by themselves,the 5.5x20x50 is about 2 lbs.
Just guessing,I would say 9 to 10ish.Might be worth while to flute the barrel to lose a little weight.
If you want the gun for your hunt,I'd get on them,it took me 3 months to get my action from them.9/15 for a delivery date sounds pretty optimistic,you might give Richard Spruill at Nesika a call and tell him your hunt date,he might be able to speed things along.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Bronze Member

I actually ordered the Dakota this spring with a completion date of 8/1/05. I then found out a couple of weeks ago about the production delay. Richard came up with the solution of building the Nesika. He said his production people would commit to the 9/15 date if he could get the parts together. So he did. I believe that the barrel actually came from one of two that Richard had ordered for his own rifle. While they did not meet their original commitment, they more than made up for it by bending over backwards to meet my needs.

Thanks for the estimated weight. I had originally planned for a nonfluted barrel with the Dakota, but it sure would look nice on the Nesika. I doubt I'll do it though, as I would probably delay the arrival date if I did.

-- Don