Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Bronze Member

.338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

I ordered a .338 lapua this spring from Dakota Arms. Long story, but they are sending me a .338 lapua on a Nesika action. My plan was (and still is) to use this rifle primarily for long-range elk/bear in north Idaho. However, I was recently invited on a hunt in November for mountain goat/sitka deer at Kodiak Island. My question is: will the .338 lapua be too much rifle for the goat and deer? I assume that the bears will be in hibernation by then? I plan to make a full body mount of the goat. My only other rifle choice is a Browning BAR in 30-06. Will be checking for any postings again this evening. Any advice would be very much appreciated. -- Don

Psalms 27:1
Old 07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: .338 Lapua for Mountain Goats?

There really is no such thing as too much gun.....but sometimes it ain't practical- like squirrel hunting with a 338.....but in your case you'll be fine.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 PM

Might be too much if you had a hunger for some bbq goat ribs!!

Only kidding. You'll be fine.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

If i were hunting Kodiak Island the .338 Lapua would be a minimum caliber. I have seen some pictures of some big bruins on Kodiak not something I want to try and kill with an 30-06!!!!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Just Learnin',you have one fine rifle headed your way.While I dont have any first hand experience with Kodiak Island,I dont think that the bears are hibernating during the deer season.In fact Ive heard and read in several magazines that gunshots during deer season on the island can be comparable to ringing the dinner bell. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Dont know how much truth there is to that but the 338,as set up for a deer hunt, (high power scope,+28" barrel)wouldnt be my first choice as a defensive setup against the bruins.Id rather have someone backing me up with an open sighted big bore or at least a big bore hand cannon while deer hunting.
My dream has always been to go there to hunt the bears but at a price of $10,000 for a guided hunt (required for non-res) plus all the extras,I dont see it happening any time soon.
If you make the hunt I wish you all the best of luck and dont forget to take lots of pics and post them here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 07:50 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, for your responses. Sounds like I'll be fine. I'll come back and post again if/when I bag a goat. Great website; it's been quite informative and inspiring. -- Don

Psalms 27:1
Old 08-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Never too much gun for Mt goats. They are tough to kill and if they stumble around too much or take a dive off a cliff as they are inclined to do...their horns break VERY easy. They need to be dropped in their tracks. 338 LM is a good choice.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.