Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.338 lapua model 700 build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Re: .338 lapua model 700 build?

So the concern with the 338 lapua caliber on a model 700 is that the bolt face has to be enlarged (on a endmill) to chamber the wider lapua case, leaving alot less meat on the bolt? And possilby making the rifle less safe in the event of a failure?
Will the bolt have to be opened up for a 338 edge on my existing action? (7mm rem mag)? Sorry guys I am a millwright by trade but alot of this gunsmith terms and procedures are new to me, I do have some machinist skills.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
I would look at a 338 Edge on a stock 700 action. I am just not a fan of opening the bolt face that much for the Lapua round., very little margin of error there. The edge will be might close on MV anyway and lot easier to do.

Just my opinion which will differ from some.

BH
+1

It can be done but a long with the thin bolt face shroud the extractor will be very thin
and fragile.

Most gunsmiths will not recomend opening up the remingtion bolt face shroud that much
and when you compare the 338 RUM .338 edge and the 338 Lupua bllistics there is very
little difference in velocity.

Just my 2 cents also
J E CUSTOM
Old 01-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

As far as the scope is concerned, I would have no hesitation to use your 6500. The Elite series is a very substantial scope compared to the banner series or any of their cheaper models. I have seen and used the 4200 Elite and it is very rigid. Sniper Central has a report on the Elite and he builds sniper grade rifles using the 3200 series. Keep and use the bushnell. It might suprise you how well it will work.

The Lapua is a good caliber. They are used extensivley over seas in the sandbox. It is the prefered LR rifle. 2900 fps is all you need and it can deliver that. What ever you hit at say..... 1800+yrds has no idea what the muzzle velocity was when you blew its heart up. I don't know what your loading experience is, but the edge will require you to neck size the 300 RUM to 338 and fire form. Personally I don't have the time or patience for that. I might try some later when the kids grow up.

Good luck on your build. Let us know how it works out with lots of pictures.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 AM

my reloading expierance is pretty minimal but it seems to be working (the groups have gotten smaller). I have never necked down or up and cartridges and that fireforming sounds like a pain. I would really like to go lapua so I can just grab a pack of shells go pound em off and then reload em. as for the scope ya that 6500 busnell is great quality it ain't nothing like the old bushnells, so far on the 7mm that I have had it on I can't enough good about it and that is comparing it to VXIII's.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Platinum Member

bubbagodkin,

There really is no fire forming involved with the 338 Edge, and as far as necking up w/300RUM brass, or necking down w/375RUM brass that is only a 2 second operation. So don't let that scare you away from the 338 EDGE. The Edge is a very easy caliber to reload for. With the action you have build yourself the 338 Edge. You won't be disapointed.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Platinum Member

The Lapua ammunition is definitely going to be more widely available. Though it still is not a very popular caliber in gun shops yet. If you ever went on a trip to go hunting, you better make sure you have plenty loaded or purchased from a supplier. I would suggest the Black Hills ammunition. Initial purchase is relatively costly, but once you start reloading the cost comes way down. The other thing would be to purchase bulk from Midway or whom ever you choose to use for supplies.

My cousin is going to build one in the Savage target action. It should be a pretty nice rifle. He will be able to eject spent casings but to pull a loaded round out of the chamber he is going to have to pull the bolt. I personally think you are making a good caliber choice for relatively big .338. It has been a proven caliber.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM

Will I be able to run a .338 edge in my model 700, and be able to have it not be a single shot? Will the 338 edge fit in my detachable magazine? I read this article and the lapua is the same diameter as the weatherby too from what i have read so it sounds like the lapua is out for this build.

Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: 378 Weatherby Cases in the Remington 700 Action?