Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Edge - Match Brass - FINALLY!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Edge - Match Brass - FINALLY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signature542 View Post
I am glad it has all worked out... About 9 to 12 months ago whilst ordering some muzzle brakes from Shawn I mentioned we may have the man in Australia that could actually make some really tough/good 338 Edge brass. I was already in receipt of some of his Lapua brass. Brass was always the sticking point with my EDGE. We pay $110.00 for 50 Remington 300 Rum cases here! Hence I went a 338 Lap AI for my last build prior to these EDGE cases being mufactured.

Finally t has all come together nicely to benefit all .338 Edge users.... Putting both Shawn and Bruce in direct contact with each other has finally paid off.

Its amazing how this brass is drawn through various labour intensive methods and
it involves a lot of work . I will endeavour to get some photos of Bruce in his workshop and some of the machinery in the new year.
The Edge headstamp also had to be specially made at Bruces's cost.

Don't forget BB makes a lot of other brass in different calibres for high end LR hunters and military use. .338 Snipetac , 375 Chey and 338 Lapua are just some of them.

Bruce's speciality though is making obsolete brass from scratch!

There may be a few other down under projects under way utilising some longer drawn Edge cases and possibly a new more compact style and efficent styled case for the 7mm brigade. Honestly how many wildcats do we need? The Edge ticks a lot of boxes! Again I'd like to exploit the standard magnum bolt face potential in a Dakota style case in the .30 cal and 7mm calibre utilising Aussie brass!

Did I miss the name of the company that is making this brass?

Scot E.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Sponsor

Bertram Brass of Australia.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

Do you know the availability of this brass in terms of when this first run is gone will there be another run soon after?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

That is great news! I was already planning on converting a 300RUM to a 338 EDGE and this will just help with that decision. Rem and Nosler RUM brass has been a frustration to deal with for a long time and since working with 338 Lapua brass quite a bit, I am now more than happy to pay more for quality brass. Thanks, Shawn.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Sponsor

The next run will depend on demand but I plan to do my best to keep it in stock after the initial onslaught.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

I recommend you place your orders with Shawn. The main reason is there are a few boxes to tick and a bit paper work to fill out for export and import to the US.

Its much simpler to fill out one or two permits instead of a multitude for each small order. Customs here can be painful and like wise US Departments must sign off. Keeping orders in one or two big lots makes it easier.

Bruce is a busy man so thats why he prefers to deal with a main supplier. Making the brass is sometimes easier than getting it to you in another country. Its a lot easier for me..he lives 1.5 hours away.

Because its not mass produced I'm sure Shawn and Bruce can fine tune brass as things progress. Bruce Bertram is also a Long Range hunter so he actually listens to what the market needs/wants..( I think he has a Kirby built rifle) When I suggested he make 338 Edge brass I dont think he believed me how popular the calibre is!

You want it- Bruce can make it.. it just takes time...he was making thousands of 338 Lapua cases when I spoke about making Edge brass several months ago.
Sometimes it may just not be worth doing a run for 200 cases.. The Edge is here to stay so I'm sure supply will be able to be maintained .. These guys are in it for the long term and the investmentof machinery at Bertram Brass is on going.

I have had a few PM's for various calibres...I will speak to him on Monday and see what he has got in stock and make a list of whats available.. It may not be worth shipping a 100 cases of this or that... That being said it would be easy for DE to keep stock of .338 Edge..and more popular LR calibres. I'm sure these two reputable companies can sort something out.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

Wow! I just may re-barrel my 338 RUM to the Edge!