Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Edge/ABS break in/development.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
338 Edge/ABS break in/development.

I deceided a couple days ago to start breaking in the ABS barrel in 338 Edge. While doing so, I have also been working up to find my safe pressures. I have not yet hit max and after finding a great load with the 250 SMK @ 2866, I dont feel the need to explore any further. This is a very mild accurate load with minimal ES. So far the accuracy potential seems good (sub .5 MOA to .5 MOA). It is hard to really get to see the potential when youre shooting one and cleaning, but I am now to the point where I am shooting 3 and cleaning. A couple times I have fouled once, shot three and cleaned. I think I am about done with the break in as she is becoming pretty easy to clean. I was a bit worried about fouling after the first couple shots but I am pleasantly suprised after the break in. All in all, I have 34 rounds down the pipe and after bore scoping the barrel, it looks perfect. So perfect it doesnt look like it has ever been fired. That is more than I can say for my first ABS barrel in 300 RUM which the throat was severely cooked in 65 rounds. Mike D. still doesnt know what the heck happend there but I appreciate his looking it over and replacing it due to some defects in the riflings.

I know this can be improved, but it is promise. I cant wait till I get some 300 grain pills.

250 SMK 88.0 H1000 @100 yards

250 SMK 88.0 H1000 @ 100 yards

2nd 300 yard group

Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Unread 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 Edge/ABS break in/development.

Good to see the barrel is working out. How long is it?

That really is a light load you're shooting. I'm going to be working up a load with some 250gr Accubonds and hope to get to around 3000fps in my 28" barrel. (maybe flirt with 3100??)

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 07-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

BBL is 28"

Yes, it is light, but I just dont feel like pushing them hard. I definately have lots of room to grow though. Pressure is nill.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Michael, When you get the 300smks try 89 grains of H1000, It's a good mid-level load, that has shot in the .3 with the both guns I tried it in. Velocities were in the 2750 range so there is room to go up a bit. This load is my brake in load and they shoot it into cloverleafs right off the bat.
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
Michael, When you get the 300smks try 89 grains of H1000, It's a good mid-level load, that has shot in the .3 with the both guns I tried it in. Velocities were in the 2750 range so there is room to go up a bit. This load is my brake in load and they shoot it into cloverleafs right off the bat.

Coyboy, what chrono did you use for that? that is the velocity I get with 92gr in a 28" barrel.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Unread 07-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the recipie Coyboy. I think I possibly will need to be a wee bit lower than 89.0 due to the VERY short throat in this barrel. With the 250 SMK I am loading them to 3.725 and am only a few thousandths off the lands. Most guys are running a much longer OACL. My target velocity is right at your sweet spot though, 2750.

I am pretty sure the break in is done. I just came back in from the garage after cleaning it since the last few shots today and cleaned up VERY fast and easy. Among the fastest and easiest I have ever done.
Unread 07-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

AJ, Pro-crony, yea I know but it's all I got. I had a friend over who was running 94.5 and using his brass once!! at 2930fps, 30"

One had a 28" barrel running right at 2700- 2710 with the other being a 30" at 2750. The 30 inch gun is my own and I believe my current load is 2780's fps with 90 grains

But the difference between us could be chaulked up to ; crony, powder scale, barrel manf., powder lot, who knows what else. 2750 does seems a little slow to me with 92 grains, but what the heck if she is shooting whats a few fps.