Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 edge ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 338 edge ?

This is a measurement you need to determine for your rifle. Get one of these....

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action

It will help.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
This is a measurement you need to determine for your rifle. Get one of these....

Hornady Lock-N-Load Overall Length Gage Bolt Action

It will help.

This tool will give you the true OAL from base to tip when the bullet ojive is at or into the lands. You still need a tool to mesure base to ojive. I usually mesure other calibers by using the above tool and my Sinclair "NUT", and then subtract the measurment of the nut. This will give you a base to OJIVE (according to your individual nut and lot number of bullets) measurement. My "nut" does not have a .338 hole in it, and since i am only loading for ONE 338 I am going to skip buying a seperate tool with the proper sized hole in it for the .338's.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

color the tip of a dummy round (loaded long) and gently insert it into the chamber (if you go to hard the bullet will get stuck in the bore). the rifle will set the bullet to the land and the felt marker will tell you where the bullet is contacting the lands.
Very hillbilly way of doing it but it works for me.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus-5024 View Post
color the tip of a dummy round (loaded long) and gently insert it into the chamber (if you go to hard the bullet will get stuck in the bore). the rifle will set the bullet to the land and the felt marker will tell you where the bullet is contacting the lands.
Very hillbilly way of doing it but it works for me.

True, but the OP was asking for that measurment...base to Ojive. All you can tell him is the OAL base to tip. You may well have the base to ojive lenght exactly where you want it, but you will need some sort of tool to measure base to ojive.