close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Reply

.338 calibers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Unread 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,612
Re: .338 calibers

sp6x6 pretty much hit it dead on. If you want a heavy hitter look at the last ones. Kirby's Raptor I am pretty sure is the improved Excalibur case I mentioned. It is the biggest thing out there before going to the chey-tac case.
__________________
Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
Reply With Quote
  •   #9  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 15
    Re: .338 calibers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
    sp6x6 pretty much hit it dead on. If you want a heavy hitter look at the last ones. Kirby's Raptor I am pretty sure is the improved Excalibur case I mentioned. It is the biggest thing out there before going to the chey-tac case.
    Who makes a custom long range gun in those calibers.
    Reply With Quote

      #10  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Mar 2002
    Location: Wyoming
    Posts: 2,612
    Re: .338 calibers

    Allen precision on here does an excalibur improved. Several smiths do the 338-378 wby and imp versions, 338-416 rigby imp and similar case capacity rounds. Those are as big as you can get before getting into the chey tac case which requires a much heavier rifle.

    Depends on how heavy a rifle you want, barrel life, distance you want to hunt, etc. Let us know what your purpose is for the rifle and guys on here can help you. I backpack hunt and want a rifle I can carry all day comfortably. The Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman I have been testing is a 1000 yard capable rifle that weighs 7 3/4 pounds and it is hard to beat that. Tons of criteria you nee to look at.
    __________________
    Predictions are difficult, especially when they involve the future
    Reply With Quote
      #11  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 06:19 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 15
    Re: .338 calibers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
    Allen precision on here does an excalibur improved. Several smiths do the 338-378 wby and imp versions, 338-416 rigby imp and similar case capacity rounds. Those are as big as you can get before getting into the chey tac case which requires a much heavier rifle.

    Depends on how heavy a rifle you want, barrel life, distance you want to hunt, etc. Let us know what your purpose is for the rifle and guys on here can help you. I backpack hunt and want a rifle I can carry all day comfortably. The Mcmillan EOL Outdoorsman I have been testing is a 1000 yard capable rifle that weighs 7 3/4 pounds and it is hard to beat that. Tons of criteria you nee to look at.
    Have you ever tested cooper firearms
    Reply With Quote
      #12  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: North Dakota
    Posts: 287
    Re: .338 calibers

    Cooper doesn't make heavy hitters like this.
    Reply With Quote
      #13  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 06:25 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 15
    Re: .338 calibers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webs View Post
    Cooper doesn't make heavy hitters like this.
    i just seen allot of them starting to come to dealers around me. How about the Accumark.
    Reply With Quote
      #14  
    Unread 01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2012
    Posts: 15
    Re: .338 calibers

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchbackkd View Post
    i just seen allot of them starting to come to dealers around me. How about the Accumark.
    I know they do or did make some wby calibers
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: .338 calibers
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    blaser new calibers šlg Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 03-09-2013 07:06 PM
    6mm calibers Greywolf18 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 05-19-2009 03:29 PM
    practice calibers straightshooter The Basics, Starting Out 24 08-07-2008 10:30 PM
    Calibers timbawwolf The Basics, Starting Out 3 04-01-2004 05:45 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC