Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 347
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Thanks everyone. It was a weird deal that led me to even try these Hybrids. I was really happy with the way the SMK's shot and performed, but when I bought a new 8lb. jug of H1000 everything went to hell. My old load was way too hot and even dropping down 7 grains was still showing pressure. My best load had a mediocre ES and decent accuracy out to 500yds. But then my vertical spread was bad at 1000 yds. I was playing the waiting game on the Berger's after reading the issues everyone was having and waiting to see what they were going to change. Finally said screw it and ordered some Berger's. They showed less pressure and better accuracy, better ES but my velocity was down. I decided I could live with less velocity as long as the load proved to be consistent. Worked up a drop chart and spent some time to verify it and was extremely happy. The conditions for this shot were about as perfect as it gets. I felt very confident with the shot and it almost seemed easy.
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends
Hope everyone's hunting season goes as well as mine. Now, look out deer and elk!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,852
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends !
I agree, to me busting rocks is the best practice I can get. I do it a lot and I always really enjoy it.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,459
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
Thanks everyone. It was a weird deal that led me to even try these Hybrids. I was really happy with the way the SMK's shot and performed, but when I bought a new 8lb. jug of H1000 everything went to hell. My old load was way too hot and even dropping down 7 grains was still showing pressure. My best load had a mediocre ES and decent accuracy out to 500yds. But then my vertical spread was bad at 1000 yds. I was playing the waiting game on the Berger's after reading the issues everyone was having and waiting to see what they were going to change. Finally said screw it and ordered some Berger's. They showed less pressure and better accuracy, better ES but my velocity was down. I decided I could live with less velocity as long as the load proved to be consistent. Worked up a drop chart and spent some time to verify it and was extremely happy. The conditions for this shot were about as perfect as it gets. I felt very confident with the shot and it almost seemed easy.
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends
Hope everyone's hunting season goes as well as mine. Now, look out deer and elk!

Jumpalot,

Does your screen name refer to anything in particular...?

Jon
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 347
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

LOL!! Well I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. In a moment of drunkeness in college, my buddy decided we should all have "Indian" names. Because I was a former gymnast and national trampoline champion, he named me Geronimo Jumpalot. I shortened it to Jumpalot for use on internet forums. Again, no offense meant towards anyone.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,459
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
LOL!! Well I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. In a moment of drunkeness in college, my buddy decided we should all have "Indian" names. Because I was a former gymnast and national trampoline champion, he named me Geronimo Jumpalot. I shortened it to Jumpalot for use on internet forums. Again, no offense meant towards anyone.
Interesting. I was wondering if it had anything to do with jumping out of airplanes!
Again, great shot and thanks for the real world info on this bullet!
__________________
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 33
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Well done! I've been weighing options for my Lapua for the last couple months and this has definitly helped my decision. I am new to the 338 crowd and have only shot 250 scenars but none on game. The Bergers will probably be on order in the next couple months.

Now I just have to wait another six months to put some more rounds down range!

Happy hunting to everyone this season
__________________

AIR CAV!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fort Shaw, Montana
Posts: 6,807
Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Very good report and great shooting!!!!
__________________
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Penatration & Expansion test. liltank Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 05-22-2011 11:30 PM
Impromptu Berger 300gr Hybrid Expansion test. royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 2 08-29-2010 09:47 AM
Berger Hybrid Expansion Test @ 1180 yds Broz Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 38 07-05-2010 04:29 PM
270 Accubond Expansion Test royinidaho Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 10 09-15-2008 10:38 AM
265 gr AT RBBT, expansion, penetration and weight retention test results.... Fiftydriver Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 6 08-18-2007 10:12 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.58%
120 Votes
NO - 48.41%
168 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.00%
59 Votes
Total Votes: 347
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC