Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: 338 Berger Expansion and Penetration test on 925 yd. Antelope

Thanks everyone. It was a weird deal that led me to even try these Hybrids. I was really happy with the way the SMK's shot and performed, but when I bought a new 8lb. jug of H1000 everything went to hell. My old load was way too hot and even dropping down 7 grains was still showing pressure. My best load had a mediocre ES and decent accuracy out to 500yds. But then my vertical spread was bad at 1000 yds. I was playing the waiting game on the Berger's after reading the issues everyone was having and waiting to see what they were going to change. Finally said screw it and ordered some Berger's. They showed less pressure and better accuracy, better ES but my velocity was down. I decided I could live with less velocity as long as the load proved to be consistent. Worked up a drop chart and spent some time to verify it and was extremely happy. The conditions for this shot were about as perfect as it gets. I felt very confident with the shot and it almost seemed easy.
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends
Hope everyone's hunting season goes as well as mine. Now, look out deer and elk!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends !
I agree, to me busting rocks is the best practice I can get. I do it a lot and I always really enjoy it.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone. It was a weird deal that led me to even try these Hybrids. I was really happy with the way the SMK's shot and performed, but when I bought a new 8lb. jug of H1000 everything went to hell. My old load was way too hot and even dropping down 7 grains was still showing pressure. My best load had a mediocre ES and decent accuracy out to 500yds. But then my vertical spread was bad at 1000 yds. I was playing the waiting game on the Berger's after reading the issues everyone was having and waiting to see what they were going to change. Finally said screw it and ordered some Berger's. They showed less pressure and better accuracy, better ES but my velocity was down. I decided I could live with less velocity as long as the load proved to be consistent. Worked up a drop chart and spent some time to verify it and was extremely happy. The conditions for this shot were about as perfect as it gets. I felt very confident with the shot and it almost seemed easy.
What made this shot seem easy was the fact that Nick and I had built up two 6.5-284's and had spent a year practicing. Busting rocks out to 1100 yds every weekend has really payed it's dividends
Hope everyone's hunting season goes as well as mine. Now, look out deer and elk!

Jumpalot,

Does your screen name refer to anything in particular...?

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

LOL!! Well I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. In a moment of drunkeness in college, my buddy decided we should all have "Indian" names. Because I was a former gymnast and national trampoline champion, he named me Geronimo Jumpalot. I shortened it to Jumpalot for use on internet forums. Again, no offense meant towards anyone.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
LOL!! Well I hope this isn't offensive to anyone. In a moment of drunkeness in college, my buddy decided we should all have "Indian" names. Because I was a former gymnast and national trampoline champion, he named me Geronimo Jumpalot. I shortened it to Jumpalot for use on internet forums. Again, no offense meant towards anyone.
Interesting. I was wondering if it had anything to do with jumping out of airplanes!
Again, great shot and thanks for the real world info on this bullet!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Bronze Member

Well done! I've been weighing options for my Lapua for the last couple months and this has definitly helped my decision. I am new to the 338 crowd and have only shot 250 scenars but none on game. The Bergers will probably be on order in the next couple months.

Now I just have to wait another six months to put some more rounds down range!

Happy hunting to everyone this season

AIR CAV!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Very good report and great shooting!!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com