Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: 338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Both RL33 and RL50 seem to do pretty well with temp changes what one would see normally in a single location hunting situation.
All this talk about Hodgdon Extreme. It makes you wonder. All powders are sensitive to temperature, some more than others. I use two main powders Hodgdon and RL. If you can make either of them work and you are aware of the pressure changes with temperature go for it...Right now the 300 RUM has changed from Hodgdon to RL. I'm not favoring one over the other but will take what works best for me.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Wow. These RL33 MVs are impressive. The Alliant version of Superperformance powder.
Seems to be similar to that. I will say one thing, RL33 does produce more carbon fouling then I am used to in the 300 AX when using a stick powder. Not extreme amounts of fouling but more then say Retumbo or similar powders. Again, not a problem, just have to stay on top of it every 40 shots or so, not a bad thing.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Today I settled for .005" jump and 97.5gr RL-33. Three cold bore shots at 300 were taken with ten to fifteen minutes between shots to confirm zero. Cold bore group measured 1.1" with MV 3171 and ES in the teens. Time to conduct drop chart shooting first thing in the morning followed by goat hunting mid morning.

Attachment 26449
Could not ask for much better there, I think you have found the proper combination of jump and powder charge with RL33.

Group shape is just what we want!!!

I think you will not have much trouble getting a good pronghorn!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
All this talk about Hodgdon Extreme. It makes you wonder. All powders are sensitive to temperature, some more than others. I use two main powders Hodgdon and RL. If you can make either of them work and you are aware of the pressure changes with temperature go for it...Right now the 300 RUM has changed from Hodgdon to RL. I'm not favoring one over the other but will take what works best for me.
In the past, I have found that when using modern high performance stick powders, temp really was not the biggest factor in variation with muzzle velocity and chamber pressures. It has always seemed that elevation had a larger effect on chamber pressure which comes down to bar pressure. I have not tested this ALOT as its more difficult to do testing at a wide range of elevations but on several occasions, I had developed top end loads at my 3400 ft elevation and then took the same loads up on a camping trip to an elevation of around 7000 ft and would see more pressure signs even in cooler temps.....

Not dramatically higher but they seemed to produce more chamber pressure at higher elevation and I can not really explain why exactly.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-11-2013, 05:43 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Thanks for posting your load data with RL 33 and your 338 AX...

had no idea where to start with this powder,
I can now safely use your max load of 106 gr as a fire forming load and starting point in developing loads for my wildcat the 338 Wolverine....

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 11-11-2013, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
Seems to be similar to that. I will say one thing, RL33 does produce more carbon fouling then I am used to in the 300 AX when using a stick powder. Not extreme amounts of fouling but more then say Retumbo or similar powders. Again, not a problem, just have to stay on top of it every 40 shots or so, not a bad thing.
Do you have a preferred method to remove carbon fouling or is it inclusive in standard cleaning?