Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 338 Allen Xpress, RL33 load development

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Kirby,

Your comment on RL-33 needing resistance to get best ignition is a good explanation with what I reported last year. I noticed that RL-33 worked best with the heaviest bullet for caliber.

Thanks for the testing and insight.

Ross
I would agree 100% with your findings!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
No, Rem...I don't know what I was thinking. Probably was the last cases I loaded up.
Kind of figured it was a typo. I agree, this time of year, lots of things running though the mind!!!

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2013, 12:00 PM
PUBLISHER

I am deleting all the posts that resulted from Kirby's complaint about a certain company.

Our rules clearly prohibit that regardless of who the parties are.

Quote:
8) There will be no threads started for the purpose of airing your problems with individuals, suppliers or manufacturers. (Complaint Threads) Handle those issues privately.
While I go through the deletion process I am closing the thread. I will re-open it when the deletion is complete.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Len, my thread was started to talk about RL33 load development in my 338 AX. Not started for the sole purpose of anything to do with Lazzeroni or his products. Just want to make that very clear. Just offering information that was from a direct question from another member of LRH. Will try to avoid that in the future I guess.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

At lunch today, I was able to do some velocity testing with my 300 AX with the 200 gr Accubonds and RL33.

Started at 103.0 gr and worked up from there. Bullets seated 5 thou off the lands. Here are the results. Again out of a 26.5" barrel length. Three round velocity average and ES.(Not real accurate but you will see a trend as you read on)

103.0 gr..............3259 fps (ES: 27 fps)
104.0 gr..............3308 fps (ES: 31 fps)
105.0 gr..............3333 fps (ES: 21 fps)
106.0 gr..............3384 fps (ES: 13 fps)
107.0 gr..............3423 fps (ES: 14 fps) Best top working load
108.0 gr..............3454 fps (ES: 26 fps)
109.0 gr..............3466 fps (ES: 32 fps) Visable Ejector ring, to hot in my opinion

I then repeated the test but with the bullets seated 50 thou off the lands and ES was in the 30-40 fps up to 105.0 gr load but jumped to 70-80 fps at 106 and 107 and was 80-90 fps above that......

Again, seems to be holding consistant that LR33 like to have the bullets seated close to the lands for consistant powder ignition and muzzle velocity. Windy as heck today, no long range testing. Maybe tomorrow at lunch.

For comparision, my standard load with Retumbo was 100.0 gr under the same bullet, same OAL which averaged 3330 fps. With similar pressure signs RL33 is getting 3423 fps so nearly a 100 fps increase in velocity.

One more thing I have been noticing in my 300 AX is that RL33 is producing more carbon fouling then what you would expect with a stick powder. Not bad, cleans out easily but more then you will see with Retumbo. This is likely because I am not getting the slower burning powder up to the same working pressures as Retumbo in the 30 cal. Did not seem to produce any different carbon fouling in the 7mm AM or 338 AX or 338 Raptor but in the 300 AX, she smokes a bit more then I am used to!!! Again, stay on top of it and not an issue at all.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

just out of curiosity are you going to do any testing with the 230 hybrid?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I will be down the road but in this rifle, which is a lightweight 7.25 lb bare rifle weight walking rifle which has an HS Precision DM system, the 230 gr are to long to fit in the magazine box.

Originally, I was wanting to try the 215 or 230 gr Berger Hybrid but after taking a few measurements, it was clear that I would need to seat them well off the lands. In my testing so far, that will not work out well with RL33.

I have my prototype Raptor LRSS rifle in 300 AX that I will be trying these Berger bullets in when I get a chance. Right now, Just trying to get this rifle up and running in time for big game season!!! Pronghorn season starts this weekend and I am still working up a new load for my rifles. Typical gunsmith, waiting for the last minute to get my own rifle up and running!!!

My main interest with the 230 gr berger Hybrid will come when I start load development on my 300 Raptor. This will likely happen after this big game season when things kind of get back to normal but if they work, I think the 230 gr Hybrid may be flat out amazing in the 300 Raptor and I sure it will be great in the 300 AX as well.

With my original 300 Raptor design which is based off the 338 Excalibur case, the 230 gr Berger was able to be driven to 3300 fps out of a 30" barrel length with relative ease. Will be looking to add a bit to that with the production 300 Raptor because its case design has a larger volume.

So the short answer is yes, will be testing that bullet but not in this rifle. Want something with a bit more legs on it so I do not have to seat the bullets short and have enough barrel to get the most out of this great bullet design.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com