Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

338-06 Barrel for Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: 338-06 Barrel for Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller82 View Post
Forgot to mention, you'll probably want to order a barrel vise (I use the wheeler engineering vise) and some rosin as well. They can be had from the same place as the gauges and wrench. The rosin will keep the barrel from slipping in the wooden block when removing the factory barrel from the action.
I have both a barrel vise and action wrench, on a Savage the wrench works way better for barrel swapping than the barrel vise. The trick is to hold the nut wrench stationary and whack the action wrench with a heavy hammer. Also a generous squirt of Kroil helps break things loose the first time around. For my .473 bolt face long action I have .30/06, .270 and .25/06 barrels sitting around, I have a magnum action and will add another short action when a good deal pops up locally. For barrels contact Jim at Northland shooters supply, give him a call and tell him what you want to do He'll steer you in the right direction.

Northland Shooters Supply

Hope this helps!

Bob

PS If you want to shoot me a PM and I can send you some pictures of my barrel swap set-up.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 338-06 Barrel for Savage

You can try E.R. Shaw, they sell wrench and gauges kit with barrel. Google er shaw for web address.