Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.308 warbird questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Re: .308 warbird questions.

Probably a good chance factory Lazz. stuff wouldn't match up exactly to what's listed on the box. He'd be developing loads using a 27" barrel with a tight, custom chamber. If you're shooting a factory rifle, you'd be using a 26" barrel with a chamber held to lessor tolerances. No guarantee that you wouldn't meet advertised fps, but it would certainly stand to reason if you didn't.

Using whichever bullet you chose for the round, if you use Retumbo, I really don't think you'd have trouble reaching (+/-20 fps) advertised performance quotes.

That Lapua I shot was a while ago. Felt recoil was somewhere between my .25-06 and .270 loads, as I remember it. Don't remember the specifics on the load used (50 developed the load) but it was real manageable.

Later. >> klallen

Unread 01-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

In a production rifle, you will be hard pressed to find any factory ammo that reaches advertised velocity specs. This is simply because most ammo manufacturers develope their ammo in tight chambered, tight bored match barrels. Then when that same ammo is fired in a production rifle with looser chamber, throat and bore, the pressure generated drops significantly resulting in the less then advertised velocity results.

Now this is on average, every one in a while you will get a combo that will match or even slightly exceed what the factory said it should but this is not common in any way.

Another bonus for the 338 Lapua is that Hornady is now making factory ammo for this chambering. I believe with a 250 gr BTHP match bullet.

There are not many more factory ammo options for the 338 as there is the warbird and both are spendy and I would say neither would match listed advertised velocity potentials.

Only way to get the most for your money is to handload either of these rounds and if you do so you will get better performance with ALOT less out of pocket expense.

Kirby Allen(50)
Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page:
Unread 01-20-2007, 07:24 AM

I am starting to lean against the lazz. because i am 99.9% sure that im going to have a .338lapua mag smithed. and the fact that there are a lot of different bullets for them makes it a plus. but i gotta go im sitting in heathrow airport waiting on my plane. latter.
Unread 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Head_Hunter123 View Post
hello im new to the forums, and i had a few questions about the .308 warbird, like recoil. i shoot a.270 and 30.06 2x a week and ready to move up on a long range gun. and my dad pointed this cartridge out. from what i could see the ballistics looked very nice. but i was just concerend of the recoil. any experiences???
If you like to have a unique caliber the warbird is it. There is no equal to it in the 30 caliber class. I shoot a Sako TRG-S with a 30" krieger fluted barrel. I shoot 1/2" groups consistanly with my zeiss scope. Dont sell yourself short if the brass cost is not an issue. You will get 190 grain bullets moving at 3500 ft/per second.

Last edited by Lazzerhead; 12-02-2009 at 02:16 AM.