Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

.308 warbird questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 PM

.308 warbird questions.

hello im new to the forums, and i had a few questions about the .308 warbird, like recoil. i shoot a.270 and 30.06 2x a week and ready to move up on a long range gun. and my dad pointed this cartridge out. from what i could see the ballistics looked very nice. but i was just concerend of the recoil. any experiences???
Old 01-09-2007, 04:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: .308 warbird questions.

You might want to take a look at the 300 RUM to.
At least try one. They are not that far away from each other, the 7,82 Warbird and the 300 RUM, then it comes to ballistics..........and recoil.
I think you'll be happy with a RUM as well, because of the price and access for reloading components.

The recoil is stiff, but in a rifle built the right way, its not to bad.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 01-09-2007, 07:03 AM

In a sporter weight rifle, recoil is relatively stiff, but certainly manageable. Comparison wise, my .270 load using a 130 gr. bullet has recoil #'s around that 17 ft. lb. range. My 7.82 Warbird load, in same weight rifle, using a 180 gr. bullet is in that 47 - 48 ft. lb. range.

I hunted for a couple years without a brake and never noticed the recoil in the field. At the range, it never prevented accurate shooting, but you certainly were aware of it more. Had a Holland QD brake installed by 50 and it's a pussy-cat now.

I like mine a great deal. Expensive cases and dies for sure but once these things are purchased, the hard part's done. I've found mine real easy to reload for with real nice performance potential. Good luck to ya. >> klallen
Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM

i planned on a sako rifle but im not really sure which model becasue i dont know if they even offer it or not. if anyone knows what model that sako offers the rifle please let me know. and ammunition availabilty is no problem i have access to the ammo for it. so i plan on having a break put on it but i dont know that much about them and if they help. so any suggestions to the most effective break or if i dont even need one. and like is there any examples that you could put on it. like it kicks like a 30.-06 when it has a break or something like that.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

If you run the ballistics at 1k feet above sea level they are not that impressive. Let me rephrase that, Not as good as they look like on they're web page. For they're price I would look into the ultra mag.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

The Warbird and the 300RUM are both in the same class , I personaly would go with the 300 RUM simply because they are so much cheaper to shoot adn I have yet to see any of the Lazz rounds shoot anywhere close to what they list speed wise with their loaded ammo. I think that it is a trearibly over priced hyped up round.

As for the recoil , I think that in a 9-10lb gun it woun't be plesant at all without a brake , anything above 20-25lbs of recoil is generaly not accepted by those that don't shoot alot. With a good brake like baffeled desgine like the Holland and a few other the recoil will more than likly be a bit LESS than your 30-06 , Brakes like the Vais with holes all around are not quiet as effective and they will cover you with dirt if you ever shoot it from prone position on the ground.
If your looking for a good gun to get into the long range shooting and you think that you just have to have a big magnum then I would advise you to buy a Rem Sendero in either 300 RUM or 7mm RUM , have your smith bed it ,work the trigger and recrown the barrel when he installs the brake and I would be willing to be that it will outshoot the Lazz rifle or the Sako and cost about half the price , then you can take the money you saved and put it into a better scope becasue if your scope is crap then your whole rig doesen't work worth a crap!!

But in my oppinion 90% of folks that end up with the big mags and ultras don't need any more power than what a regular 300 win or 7mm rem mag has to offer.
But if you want somthing their is no better reason to get it
Old 01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
SPONSOR

Sako doesn't chamber either the RUM or the over-hyped warbird anymore. If you dig deep enough, I bet you could find an older one though.

If it were me, I'd scrap the Sako idea and get a Sendero 300 RUM. That would make a great started longrange gun. Just my 2 cents worth.