Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

308 Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2004, 06:13 PM
Bronze Member

Re: 308 Rifle

Remington 700 VLS-168 grain Hornady A-max-44.5 grains H-Varget- CCI bench rest primers.
And a large chest freezer for all the game!!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:40 PM
Bronze Member

Welcome.

The .308 is a fine round. We all have our favorites and our little pet projects, but nobody here will dispute that the .308 is effective as both a hunting round and a target round.

You listed a bunch of nice rifles. For the money, I would say go with the Savage. I love my custom Mausers, and I'll never enjoy looking at my Savage as much as I do the Mausers. However, my Savage prints one ragged hole - out of the box - and has the sweetest trigger I've ever touched, and that included my Anschutz.

Any of the rifles you listed will be accurate for the right shooter, and with the right loads. Each has its own little shortcomings that may cause one to be more attractive to a person than another.

If you have access to a good gunsmith and the funds to keep the project going, then any of those will work. If not, then get the Savage and go shooting.

The CZ will need trigger work, as will the Kimber. The Savage action will seem a bit rough, and the finish work isn't nearly as nice as the others. My experience with the Tikka is so limited that I'm not going to embarrass myself by commenting on it. All in all, my rifle shoots well for me. If another shooter bought the same rifle, they might not have had the same results with their loads as I found with mine. I know this is vague and probably doesn't help, but there are no absolutes, only opinions. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the replies, they were all very helpful. In the end I went with the Remington 700 VLS; it just felt right when I tried it. If you have any suggestions for improving this unit I would love to hear them.

-----------
Walk softly and carry a high powered rifle
Old 05-28-2004, 06:53 AM
Bronze Member

I don't own a .308 (yet [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img], but I do own a VLS in .223. That rifle has spoiled me forever! I did rebed my rifle and (Acraglass gel and floated the barrel) and adjusted the trigger. It was also the first rifle I ever owned with a laminated stock. I now have 3. I love the looks and feel of them-also like to work with them, if you are a do-it yourselfer. Mine shoots great and I think the VLS is a bargin. Nice choice. Happy shooting-Duff
Old 05-28-2004, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Invicta39,

I am glad to hear you made a decision. One small word of advice is to find a GOOD smith with a good reputation for working on 700's and have the trigger fine tuned. Remington makes a good trigger, they just set them up lousey. They do clean up really nice though. You shouldnt need to pay more the $50.00 for a good job. I like em set to 2.5# and I like em to break like a glass sliver. Also, for factory ammo, try the federal gold medal match in 155, 168, and 175. At least 1 if not all 3 should shoot real nice in your rifle. If you hand load, try the 155 Scenar's, AMAX's, Palma's, 168 SMK, 175 SMK, and of course the 178 AMAX. Powders like RL-15, VARGET, H4895 and IMR 4064 will all work exceptionaly well in that rifle also.

Good shooting to you!!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

...think you made the best choice in the rem vls... might wanna purchase a jewell trigger for your remington, they are the ultimate right out of the box (come with heavier and lighter springs)... you can always re-install the remington trigger if you change rifles... once you shoot a jewell... there's no turning back... oh yeah, in spite of "drop-in" fit, you'll likely have to remove a little wood for proper clearancing, but no big deal... thanks for listening...