Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

308 Reloading Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2011, 03:41 PM

308 Reloading Problems

Help out there! I am reloading 308 for my Remingron 700 and I am using Lapua Brass. I am full length re-sizing, trimming, neck sizing, and I am seating @.010 off the lands, everything I can think of but every once in a while I get a round that fits too tight in the chamber. What can be going on? Is it the dies?
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 308 Reloading Problems

Need to bump the shoulder back a few thousandths.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalRem View Post
Help out there! I am reloading 308 for my Remingron 700 and I am using Lapua Brass. I am full length re-sizing, trimming, neck sizing, and I am seating @.010 off the lands, everything I can think of but every once in a while I get a round that fits too tight in the chamber. What can be going on? Is it the dies?
Thanks for your help!
Check the thickness of the case necks. It sounds like you have some that are too thick. If that's the case when you seat the bullet the overall diameter of the neck is going to exceed that of your chamber neck.

If that's the case you need to either mill those case necks down or throw them away because it can create dangerous pressure problems.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Check the thickness of the case necks. It sounds like you have some that are too thick. If that's the case when you seat the bullet the overall diameter of the neck is going to exceed that of your chamber neck.

If that's the case you need to either mill those case necks down or throw them away because it can create dangerous pressure problems.

Mill them...dont throw them. Lapua brass is too $$$ just to pitch
Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

If he is full length sizing them correctly it should be bumping the shoulder back, and if the necks are bigger than the chamber it would be like putting factory ammo in a tight neck chamber and he would know it or possibly wouldn't still be around to know it. If one is tight try rotating it 180* and see if it chambers easier, if so its a runout issue, could have a slightly crooked chamber or your just not camming over or bottoming out each case when you full length depending on the press you're using.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

I had the same issue in my 300 WSM tried everything from ideas here and from my gunsmith
Contacted RCBS they said I set the dies up incorrectly and sugested I set them up again follwing the instructions exactly and bump the shoulder a few more thou.
I did and have not had a problem since this was five years ago
good luck
retiredcpo